6.0 Vortec vs. 6.6 Duramax

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ddixon7, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah for 1/10th of a second while your lifting your foot to apply the brake :)
  2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed, but 25-30 mpg crusing on the open road is average! I think thats amazing for a full size 325 hp pickup, with 17" wheels!
  3. Mark13

Mark13 LawnSite Member

Are you believing the read out in the dash or hand calculated?
  4. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

FWIW my crew cab short bed 2005 2500 dmax has 161000 miles on it with no problems otther than routine maint and 2 new front wheel bearings. I pull about 14-16000 lbs daily. That being said I've been eying a buddies 12 f450 flatbed crew cab dually.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. NDHometownLC

NDHometownLC LawnSite Member

Ya not trying to start something but you can't compare a half ton gas pickups pulling power to a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel pickups pulling power. They are on completely different levels and expected to do different things. It's not a bad pickup just because it doesn't pull like a big diesel pickup.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Both, those numbers are rough but the 5.3 gets amazing highway mpg cruising @ 65. Its mostly due to the 6 speed, you couldnt touch these numbers with a 3 speed!
  7. TTS

TTS LawnSite Senior Member

I forget where I read it but somewhere I read if you use over 50% of the vehicles towing ability over 50% of the time a diesel should end up being cheaper. Anything less than that and there's not enough difference. In other words if you tow heavy most of the time it's worth the expense to have the diesel and remain well within it's comfort zone vs running a gas engine to it's limits. It's more expensive to repair a diesel but it's less likely to break than a gas engine that is constantly stretched to it's limits. Flipside is if you're not pushing the limits of gas at all you will never recoup the cost of the diesel. I believe all the numbers are based on running a truck until dead, like plantscape said if you sell it still running you recoup a good portion of the initial price of the diesel.