$6.00 to cut my lawn?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chriscraft, Apr 18, 2006.

1. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

i got a quote of $6.80 a cut to cut my lawn (lol) granted my yard is small so i see another flyer in a party store (will beat all prices) He says hell do it for $6.00 a cut. I give him my address and tell him to look for the corvette yellow old silverados and he says "i know you , you have a landscape company and i say yes. he says why you want me to cut it? I say it costs me more than that in labor and gas for me to have 3 guys cut it so he can do it. He said hed stop by tonight. We'll see what happens,

2. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

Might as well just sub all your work out to him... sit at home, and rake in that profit :drinkup: :drinkup: If only it were that easy.

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Ya i was thinking that but i dont think he could handle my load lol. We cut 100 mobile homes in an 8 hour day per crew.im sure he has a push mower. Lets all work for free ;-)

4. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

So why not help a guy out...

If he's cutting for $6.00 or $10.00 he's only hurting everyone in the business doesn't matter what area.... is he going to steal your business... nah, doubt it. But he will still drive the price down once people hear about the $6 a cut guy on the block.

If your not willing to share tips with him at least tell the guy about the forum. Maybe he'll learn a thing or two.

Might want to sign that contract for $6 before you do tho. :drinkup:

All_Clear

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It's people like him that destroy what we are working so hard for, i have clawed and chewed my way to the top and i'm not even halfway there yet.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Any idea how old he is? I would suspect he is a young teen, don't really see how a legitimate biz could actually contemplate cutting for that cheap.

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Did he ever stop by? Should be interesting to see the age of him and his equipment.

8. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

After he cuts your grass ask him if he likes your 'vette. Then explain to him he'll never be able to afford one cuttin grass for 6 bux.

9. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

Test him out. If he can actually do a decent job, sub him out to do a few for you. If he has insurance and is legit, let the boy work. This way he also can low ball you on other potential customers.

10. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

So did he ever come by today? That's the funniest thank I ever heard, and that he said he would come by must need the money. Next year he won't in business. I had a guy like that in my town doing snow-removal and he stole ten of my accounts. The next Storm he did them, then the next Storm had all ten people call back saying they are sorry for switching service guys but he was cheaper than you. Got all ten back.