1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

6.4 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by yardworks inc., May 4, 2011.

1. yardworks  inc.

yardworks inc. LawnSite Member

What r your thoughts on this engine? The good and the bad.

2. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Happy with mine at 23,000 miles. Only thing I don't like is the regen and fuel mileage but as soon as I get $1,000 saved up that will be history. it seems like a very overbuilt engine and will do well if you service it faithfully.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

It is an awesome engine that is choked out by emissions bullshyt. It will pull anything you put behind it but will also get crappy mileage no matter what.

4. yardworks  inc.

yardworks inc. LawnSite Member

What kind of mileage are you getting? Also what rearend, 2 or 4wd, and which cab?

5. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Crew cab, lariat, fx4 (4x4), 3.55 rear, 20" wheels. Empty highway I get 16-18 at 70-75mph. Towing heavy around 9-11. Overall mixed driving I usually end up around 12-13.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

7. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i have one with 49k on it...f450 with 488 gear..not towing anything i am lucky to get almost 12mpg..towing my camper, 8k, i get 7.5mpg..towing the grass cutting trailer, 10.5mpg...i would seriously look at the new 6.7...it is a beast and gets great mpg...wish i had one

8. ClassicLawnCareInc

ClassicLawnCareInc LawnSite Senior Member

I have 4 of them, a 2008 f250, 2 2010 f-250, 2010 f450, great trucks but horrible gas mileage/

9. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

Boy oh boy. Am I glad I didn't get that f450 I was looking at last week if u only get 10 mpg!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device