6.5 briggs intek, Is it worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Wing 97, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Hey guys, I have a sweepster power broom with a 6.5 Briggs I/C engine. The engine smokes excessively. I ordered a replacement today, but I was wondering if it was worth repairing for back up. It starts easy, seems to have good power, and is about 4 years old. (only used for about a month in the spring) Have a feeling it's valve guides but don't have the time to repair and risk misdiagnosing. (need ASAP). Any sugestions would be appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, A tear-down inspection is in order to check the valve guides. I have replaced more rings than valve guides, But it depends on cylinder wear as to if it would be worth repairing.

3. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for your reply Restrorob. I have a feeling due to the application of the engine it has sucked alot of dust through it. More than likely rings? Haven't had a chance to price parts. May be worth repairing due to the cast iron bore?

4. Restrorob

More so than a aluminum bore, But if it needs a bore job that could raise the cost of rebuilding. Did you even think about a short-block replacement instead of a complete engine ?

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

When you can get a new engine for around $250, doesn't it just become more expensive with time invested moving everything over to SB it? I mean, you're looking at around $190 for a legitimate shortblock plus the time to change everything over that you could be spending doing higher income producing work.

6. Restrorob

It depends on who is doing the work and if they have higher paying work to do. I don't SB smaller engines anymore at work for that reason. If it were my own sure I would spend a hour or less to SB and leave that 50/75 bux in my pocket.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I am getting really tired of people making comments about how you should just replace the entire engine, etc because your time is worth more. This thinking is completely strued as you are obviously not going to make ANY money at night when you could be repairing your equipment for FREE (parts extra obviously).

I am not sure but the title says intek and you say in your first paragraph that it is an I/C engine. Intek and I/C are not the same engine.

8. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Briggs does make an Intek I/C engine. I know this because it's what I have on the sweeper. If you think I am full of S*** Lawnmaniac883 look it up in the Norhern tool Catalog. I figure if there was a common problem with the engine I could repair it myself for a reasonble price to have as back up. I haven't had the chance to to the tear down Restrorob so I guess when the time comes the first thing i will due is mic the bore. If I have to replace anything besides rings it probably won't be worth it. Thanks for your insight.

9. Restrorob

Sorry maniac. ;)

Intek IC.JPG

10. Wing 97

Wing 97 LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks again Restrorob