6.5 HP Intek suddenly running rough

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by john_incircuit, Mar 4, 2006.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The 6.5 HP B&S Intek engine on my brand new 21 mower is acting up. Ran great for 5 hrs, engine suddenly lost power and finally stopped within a couple of seconds. After I pumped the primer bulb a couple of times, it started right back up, but was running very rough. I had to constantly push the primer bulb to keep it “somewhat” running.

Oil level was OK, air filter very clean. Drained the gas and put brand new gas in. Had to constantly push the primer bulb to keep it running, after approx a minute or two, it suddenly was running smooth again. Put couple more hours on it now without a problem.

Talked to dealer, told me to be happy that it is running now…

So, could it have been the gas? It was just 2 weeks old and ran fine the same day in the other mowers.

THanks -- John
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hey John,
    Sounds like it mite have passed a piece of trash through the main jet, If it happens again drop the float bowl and check for any trash then blow air or choke cleaner through the main jet. Pop the bowl back on and try it again. If you use the cleaner don't push the primer bulb on re-start just give it full throttle.