6.7 cummins?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kawakx125, Oct 19, 2012.

1. PlantscapeSolutions

PlantscapeSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

My performance shop recommended the ARP 625 studs on even a low HP setting. A blown HG will cost you $800. For intake the AFE Pro Dry is nice since you do not have to mess with oiling.

2. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

How much are the head studs?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PlantscapeSolutions

The best deal you'll find will be about $1200. The labor was about $250. It'd the ARP 625 studs you want. They also make a lesser version more for stock engines that are around $400 but it will be a waste of money. There are guys that tried to get away with lesser studs and blew an HG. Then your out $800 for a gasket and the $650 for the cheaper studs and HG. Then you have to spend $1200 for the better studs.

4. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering is it now that you are getting 11 with tires and the lift?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Green-Man

Do you use that for lawncare? How does it do with the starting and stopping multiple times a day and short trips? I plan on getting an 09 so I'm just curious.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PlantscapeSolutions

My crew uses an 06' Ram 2500 with the 5.9 for landscape maintenance. My 09' is my daily driver and is used for work as well. I just built up the trans into a Suncoast M3GA Jr. with their billet input shaft, billet flex plate, and torque converter.

This has allowed me to turn up my Smart to the 170 HP setting which makes driving a little more fun. I just started using my 20' dump trailer for lawn composting again and the loads have put the trailer weight in the 30-31K range. Just one cubic foot of the top dressing has been in the 61-66 lbs range and I've been hauling 13 yard loads. The trailer has electric over hydraulic disc brakes ($3800 upgrade) and stops great.

7. Green-Man

That's awesome! So I'm guessing you live your truck I'm glad to hear it! When I plan to upgrade the tranny it's either going to be a revmax or suncoast. What's your mpg like just wondering.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. PlantscapeSolutions

Because I swapped in 4.10 gears I went from the mid 17's to the mid 15's. I just wish the 68RFE was not such a difficult transmission to upgrade. I have about $9000 invested in my trans setup.

If you can afford it Suncoast is the only one with a custom made drum that increases the clamping forces on the clutches in an outside the box way. They also make the M3GA Competition transmission but you have to buy the whole unit and have it shipped from FL. Then you have to ship your old core trans back to FL. With the M3GA Jr. you can have an authorized Suncoast trans shop rebuild your existing trans.

I would stay away from the purple ATS transmissions. I have talked to some shop owners that were given the run around on warranty work.

9. Green-Man

Oh wow the mpg is not that bad at all actually 17's before the swap is good enough for me especially when thinking how big the truck is. 9,000!! Wow! That's serious cash. I guess that would be one of the last things I would do. Thanks for all that info man I really appreciate it! It's nice to get to talk to someone with experience. One more question the whole turning on and off the truck multiple times a day, have you encountered problems with it? What's your take on that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. PlantscapeSolutions

I used my truck before deleting for fertilizing where we would stop very often and I only had one issue before I deleted at 20K. Once you delete you can let the truck idle for extended periods and it doesn't matter because it's just like having an older 5.9 because you have no more DPF that needs regens every so often.