6.7 Powerstroke and Cummins

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Cuttinitclose, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in Peoria yesterday and saw a new 6.7 on the lot so I stopped and looked at it for giggles. Salesman come out (of course) and offers to start it for me. Of course I say sure. (Its really quiet. We get to talking and...
    He says " this should be a really good motor, similar to a Cummins."
    Me " really? who makes the Cummins"
    Salesman " Ford"
    Me "Really"
    Him " Absolutley"

Believe me or not but thats what I heard. Ive never heard that they made Cummins diesels before. Anyone else heard or knew that?

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

LoL is this a serious question? Ford uses cummins engines but ford owns Volvo.

3. Cuttinitclose

Oh well I didnt know that. So volvo makes the cummins? What does Ford put them in? Im not into diesels that much.

4. Hoss27

Hoss27 LawnSite Member

Wow. Usually its "ya' know furd makes cummings" It all stems from back in the day when Ford owned a small portion of Cummins. They had absolutely zero to do with how they operated, and certainly never made anything with the cummins name on it. I wish they could get the cummins in a light duty Ford.

5. Cuttinitclose

Oh ok I see.

6. Hoss27

Hoss27 LawnSite Member

No. Cummins makes Cummins. Ford has never built their own diesel until recently, the 6.7 Scorpion. The only way to get a Cummins in a Ford from the factory is to get a medium duty or bigger truck.

7. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

Salesmen can be so stupid sometimes.

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

Before that fords diesels were made by international. Ford owned 10% of cummins a long time ago like someone else said but no longer has any interest in cummins
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_Ford_Motor_Company_own_Cummins_Inc

9. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Ford has made there own diesels before this new 6.7. I did not say cummins makes volvo I said Ford owns Volvo. Cummins is different from Ford all together.

10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The salesmans a idiot...Its completely false. Ford has nothing to do with Cummins, Cummins just supplies engines for Fords 650's and 750's...Stupid people...