6.7 powerstroke or 6.7 cummins?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by AEL, Jul 16, 2010.

1. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys im looking at getting a 2011 Ford f350 4x4 drw or a 2010 ram 3500 4x4 drw for a daily driver and tow rig. Just wondering what your opinions are engine wise. I have herd alot of positive on the new 6.7 ps , but havent herd much on the new cummins. I will be towing a Goose neck trailer with a skid steer and mini ex on it frequently. Intake, exhaust, and gauges will be put on it almost right away to lower and monitor my egts. Both trucks will be crew cab/ mega cab configurations.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just go with a proven winner? Dura-max.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

What you decide to get ultimately comes down to what YOU want.

I vote the Cummins. Pros: longest TBO on the market, inline six proven design is easier on maintenance, labour costs and has fewer parts to worry about which means better reliability. It also does not require urea fluid to operate. Con: price

The Ford 6.7L is a new design and has yet to be proven, even if it's built by Ford and not Navistar, I'd give it a year at least for them to work out the bugs. Cons: Heavier engine than an I6, more moving parts, more that can go wrong. In other words, it's similar to a Duramax.

Sorry, I just don't like V8 diesels. Gas engine, yes, diesel I6. Unless it's a BMW.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with the cummins, its been on the market longer. Seems to have proved itself in this area.

Alot of new Dodges and Chevys running around. Nobody is sure about the Fords.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

heres the thing, although they tout the new cummins 6.7 as not needing def (urea) everything is headed that way. look at the 6.4psd and 6.6 dmax, they are both emissions diesels and are getting worse mileage than their pre-emissions predecessors.

now, with the new lmm dmax and 6.7psd using urea, people are seeing 20+mpgs again. i have even seen 24mpg hand cald by a guy on diesel stop in his 6.7. i have no info on the lmm's as they are not even out yet.

the point im trying to get at is that even if urea is an added item to keep track of, the mileage gains you are getting are pretty tremendous. especially in the ford trucks, as mine weighs 8500lbs and its an srw. and refill intervals arebetween 3000 and 5000 miles, so its not like your topping off every time you fill the fuel tank.

dodge is missing out by staying away from the urea game and relying solely on regenerations to meet the emission standards.

go out and test drive a 6.7 cummins and then try the new 6.7psd. i guarantee you that you will want the powerstroke. plus you get more bang for the buck with all the added towing goodies ford has vs. the dodge like hill start assist, hill descent control, trailer sway control, and the best integrated braking system.

now i may sound like a ford junkie but before i got my 09 6.4 psd i did go and test drive a 6.7 cummins and wasnt that impressed. besides they wanted the same amount of money on a mid level dodge quad cab short bed as i got my crew cab long bed loaded lariat.

6. PTSolutions

from OH

just my observations but in my area its prolly about 60% powerstrokes then dmaxes followed by cummins and its been like this for a long time.

good points brought up. how many miles are year are you gonna put on it? will tbo be a deciding factor? i put about 25K per year on my truck. and no major issues. only motor related issue i had was a recall where they changed injector o rings and installed a new style egr body. only took a day in the shop.

the powerstroke is heavier but at least ford puts a big enough axle under there. this was extremely important to us as we do alot of snow removal and the 6K fgawr is key. had to replace both wheel bearings/hub assemblies on our chevy and now the passenger side cv axle.

the 6.7L cummins has had its fair share of initial problems mainly turbo issues. you just dont hear about them as often b/c there arent as many around as powerstrokes. check out the forums on both and dig up some info.

i know ford had plenty of issues with the early 6.0 and thats why i crossed my fingers and bought an 06. oasis report was clear and we got it with 82K in the spring and we are now close to 90K and no problems.

7. 360ci

Ford and Chevy use regenerations as well, every 500-600miles, PLUS the urea system. I also vote Cummins because they're currently keeping power and torque real for an operator. A 400hp diesel? WTF. Obviously the gas engine will get better mileage with it being in the mid to lower 300hp range. Ford and GM are starting down a bad path. The Fords performance still lacks mainly because it weighs nearly a half ton more than its competitors. Dodge also has the best turning radius in its class. So if plowing lots are tight, it'd be the one to get. five to eight feet can mean a big difference in how many times you gotta throw the vehicle from reverse to drive to get around objects.

I know I've said it again elsewhere on here, but Ford F250 Lariat was rated the second worst value and tops in worst fuel consumption in it's class for 2010 by Consumer Reports. I don't have anything against Ford, as I own a Taurus and it still runs like a top.

8. PTSolutions

from OH

regenerations without urea last longer and occur much more frequently regardless of which diesel it is. the regen cycles on the new diesels are going to happen alot less often compared to the 6.7 cummins. and the regen cycles without urea can last up to 30min depending on conditions. and this is what kills mileage.

as for lacking performance b/c of weight, i can tell you that when i floor my powerstroke and those turbos spool that im not left with the idea of lacking performance. and when it comes to towing my 25' deckover and 10K lb asv rc100 ill go for the ford above all else b/c of the fact that it weighs more. just the empty trailer tends to toss our chevy around alot more. when your towing heavy you want a heavy truck to keep from getting bossed around.

i dont even need to touch the consumer reports statement, if you want a refridgerator or washing machine ya ask them. a work truck? please.

does dodge have a tighter radius than chevy? ill be the first to admit that our chevy will out maneuver my 350. but it excels in many other aspects as well.

i sat in the new dodges at the auto show and i was def not impressed with the interior. it felt very cheap. when pulling the door pull handles you can watch the interior flex, the plastic on the compartments was cheap etc... before 08 i think fords interior was very blah. 08+ i believe ford has the best interiors hands down. everything is built solid. im not a huge fan of the current chevy interior as it looks just like their impalas/malibus and is very sparse. but all this is opinion anyway.

honestly, go test drive each and decide on your own. read up on the forums to see what issues and how guys are feeling about their trucks after putting some miles on them.

and about the power numbers, if you can have ~400hp and almsot 800 tq (both dmax and psd are close to these #'s) along with 20 mpgs why wouldnt your? lol

9. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Forget all that modern EPA-approved machinery.

Why don't you just install this in your current truck and enjoy it: :dancing:

DetroitV-16.jpg

10. 360ci

I'd get a HD GM, but only with the gas engine. I won't even look at a Ford 5.4 (maybe a 6.2!) or a Ram Hemi. For diesel, I'd take the Dodge. I'd rather get a couple mpg less at times than having to worry about refilling the urea, which you will go through quite a bit when working the truck hard. Urea makes more sense in smaller passenger diesels, or on this continent V6 diesels which are only found on premium SUVs, for the most part.

If I planned to commute like crazy, a diesel would make sense if I just wanted longer range, decent mileage and wasnt' planning to tow haul more than a couple passengers. For a HD truck, I won't want one with the urea after treatment system.

Knowingly if I get a HD truck, it'll be the gas GM, as all the diesels are $10K, plus 2-3K for the transmission, whereas I can get a 6 speed manual with the Ram and save me that extra $2.5K. Canadian prices are way out of control.