1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

6 acre estimate help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SomervilleLawncare, Feb 4, 2008.

1. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

I'm doing an estimate on a 6 acre residential property, the property has a good number of big trees that need to be trimmed.

What would you guys charge for a property around this size? Price per acre?

I would really like to pick up this account, but don't want to low ball it either. I have a price in mind, but I'm curious what you guys think. Thanks for the help!
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Is it just the trees and a house to trim around? Or are there other outbuildings you have to trim? Any edging involved? What are you using for a mower, and will you need a helper?
  3. SomervilleLawncare

Its just the trees and the house that need trimmed, it will require very little edging (only the walk leading to the house), It will be mowed with a 60" Z by myself.
  4. gobbles2700

gobbles2700 LawnSite Member

It'll probable take you an avg of 5 hrs. Don't include the fall cleanup as it will be extremely easy to underbid if you do. One thing you need to identify is if you will be able to upsell this account getting them to add services with regard to landscape maintenance. If you can, then you can afford to go thin on your margin for mowing and make your money on the add on services. Just a possibility. good luck Tim
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter what mower or how long it takes, it's about the amount of work involved, otherwise I just go out and buy myself the tiniest puniest slowest machine that way it takes forever and so I can charge out the wazoo and make out like a bandit.

But having the biggest and fastest machine makes it no cheaper either because I don't buy better so I can work for less, either of these methods is asking for a monumental fail so the answer to the question itself is always based on the actual amount of work.

Ultimately what you earn by the hour depends a lot on your own machines yes, but your experience and how good of a job you do (not how fast you can get it done) which as you keep doing a good job that builds your experience so it gets better with time but we all sort of kind of have to start out at the bottom then work our way up.

The price for a yard is set pretty much by the competition and what folks are willing to pay for it, you can try as high as 240 but you might as well be selling yourself right out of there, too. All depends on the condition of the turf, if most is pretty decent and it's not a crap lot that ruins your machines then I say do it all for the right price.

As a rule prices have started at 55-60 an acre, that price has been around forever and it frustrates me how it never seems to go up, but with the years comes practice and I get better so it gets done faster, anyhow... The larger the lot the lower the per foot or per acre price, 2 acres is already down to 50 or so an acre and by the time we get to 3 it's like 120-140 or thereabouts for the total and it keeps getting worse, and worse lol.

But it makes sense, the trick is to have the machine that will handle it one, the stamina to ride it through for another, so how much money is it going to take to get you out of bed in the morning, or can I just throw a 20 your way and see if you show up?

Ok, so for this size lot 200 is a pretty phat price, he might go for it, how bad do you want the work, 190 sounds a lot better and that would likely be what I throw out in their face because I will for this always come in with sharp blades and double cut guaranteed, but if I really need the work now and the lot is very nice and I like the people there and wow I am so stupid I'd do it for 175 but at the very lowest no more.

Start at 190, remember you can come down some, this gives you the room for it but don't sell yourself short, the man might say yes to the first price but if he doesn't and if after 175 the answer is still no then it is time to walk away.

Peace out and good luck, lawn like that likely take you a half to a full day.
    Good money thou, 1 stop shopping how I look at it.
  6. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldnt go any lower than 250. actually i had 300 in my head when i first thought about it so i'm gonna stick with 300. bigger isnt always better when it comes to lawns. you could do 10 postage stamp yards for 300 and get done in half the time it will take you to do that big 6 acre job. tell em 300. take it or leave it.
  7. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

5 hours? I am sure even a 60" mower can cut 5 acres an hour. Aside from a few twists and turns around some trees and a house, I would think this would be more like a 2 hour job. While I do agree with the 50-60 per acre price, I think that once you get past one or two acres, you might want to price by how long it will take. Some people want so much per hour and thats fine. It depends what you think you should be paid for an hour of work. Myself, I can live with $75 per hour if I am just sitting mostly. Some of you will think thats low and I don't charge that for everything. Everything usually evens out. My two cents.
  8. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I can do our 7 acres w/ 3 homes (1 w/ a fenced in backyard), 2 shops, 10 or so trees, and trim it all (also the by the road, 1/8 mile) all in under 3 hours and my areas are broke up. If you can make long passes it will really save you on time. Sounds like a 2-3 hour job MAX. In my area that would be around a $175-200 job.
  9. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

When I know the acreage i like to bid at 65 per acre for 4 acres or less and 55 per acre for 5 to 10 acres. That is just my .02 cents. If you go by time you have got to come up with an hourly rate that is equivalent to the equipment and your speed. If your using a 60 inch and i am using a 48 inch and we have the same hourly rate i would make more because i would estimate a longer time. So be sure to have everything in sync if that is the way you go. I think 275-325 would be great in my opinion.
  10. SomervilleLawncare

Thanks for all the help guys. I sent the gentleman an estimate of $230 which is around $38 per acre (pretty reasonable in this area). He seemed a little shocked at the price. He had just moved to this home from the city and I don't think he thought about having to mow this huge yard or how much it might cost. He told me it sounded too expensive so I told him to feel free to shop around. Anyways, he must have got some other quotes because he left me a voice mail tonight telling me to give him a call back.