1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

6 cyl. enough?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dabears8430, Jan 6, 2011.

1. dabears8430

dabears8430 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I have a 96 ford f150 xl, just starting out in the lawn biz, id be pulling a 6x10 trailer with a 36 wbh and a 52 ztr. the ford has a straight 6 only 2wd. also has a bumper hitch, I was thinking it would be wise to put a hitch connected to the frame on it. Is it strong enough to tow? good idea with the hitch or find a diff. truck? thanks
  2. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a beater 91 dakota with the 3.9 and the long bed. It had 330k miles on it and looked horrible. But since I wasn't in any high end neighborhoods at the time it worked great being it was free. It pulled fine, even had hauled some downed trees in the bed. But on my 98 dakota did not have the beefy Steel bumper the 91 had and the wieght of the equipment was bending it. I would splurge for the hitch, I feel so much safer with the one on the 5.9 Ram I have now.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

how can you get a 52 ztr and a 36 wb on a 10 foot trailer?
  4. Mow Man

Mow Man LawnSite Member

A little history with my f-150 w/ 4.9 straight 6

I have pulled a 18'dual axle flat bed w/ a full size farm tractor/bush hog for over a year a couple of times a week.

A couple of different landscape trailers completely loaded

A pressure cleaning rig w/ a 300 gal water tank

and on & on.........

As long as you dont beat it, take off slow and try not to keep up with all of the fancy new and huige trucks it is a perfect truck to get started with. Maybe a little bit of a gas pig, but......

Now for the year of my truck? An 87!!!!!!!!! it has 289,000 miles on it and it will always be my back up. There have been several times my newer trucks were broke down and old Nelly has earned her spot in the retirement country club!!! This truck has made me a BUNCH of money.

Be envious, but don't try and keep up with the jones's!
  5. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

the 300ci inline six is 2 cubic inches smaller than the 302 v8. Think about that, and in my opinion that engine is killer with a 5speed. I think it actually puts out more torque than the v8 302 as well. Keep the truck get a hitch and tow anything really.
  6. dabears8430

dabears8430 LawnSite Member
    from midwest

sounds good to me, thanks for the advice. i put the wbh on first and ztr follows. wbh is put sideways still have a foot or two leftover
  7. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep the six. its a good motor and will pull fine. Just have to take it easy on riding the clutch and the truck will pull fine. I loved driving the one at work and we had car trailers behind it all the time.
  8. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

You have one of the most reliable motors ever built. Keep it!
  9. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I had a 95 F-150 with that same engine, man that was a great truck.

Bought it new and sold it about 4-5 years ago, wish I still had it.

I pulled a 16' open trailer with it for years. It did fine with one ztr, when I added the second ztr it struggled a bit but it got the job done.

Put a hitch on it and put her to work!! :weightlifter:

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

you should deffinitly get a frame mounted trailer hitch...other than that your good to go