6 foot retaining wall question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by clclawn, Apr 27, 2008.

1. clclawn

clclawn LawnSite Member

I am bidding on a retaining wall with paver patio on top. My question is this. My understanding is on a retaining wall a geotext barrier is installed parallel to the wall to hold the soil in and not allow it to work its way out and compromising the stability of the wall or the patio. But on a 6 foot wall, the geotext soil reinforcement is installed between the blocks and laid perpendicular to the wall to hold the wall in place.

If this is done, how is the vertical geotex installed, or is it even used in a project like this, or am i just way off on this whole project?
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i would not take on that job for your first project....

a 6 foot tall wall is a pretty tall wall for a first project... then a paver patio on top adds to the complexity.....

proper compaction of the reinforced zone behind the wall will be critical......
  3. clclawn

clclawn LawnSite Member

Its not our first, just the first with this complexity.

We have done retaining walls, and many paver patios, this is just the first on with a 6 foot wall.
  4. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

A wall that tall here would require the services of an engineer, who in turn could answer all your questions. You should look into whether or not you need to have this wall engineered first.
  5. clclawn

clclawn LawnSite Member

I thought that may come up, And you are correct, but i didn't't know that i would need an engineer for the bid. If it is engineered, what are the doing. Will it change the design, or is it just the method of installation that may change. The design was done by a landscape architect, but even with the architect, there are some things i question about the design. I don't like the square corners on a 6 foot wall, seems rounded would be stronger. I also don't like the paver choose, they are all the same size square with no inter-look. They also have vary small steps (landings) coming out of the house.

I met with this customer a week ago and will met with him again on Monday. So if any of the things i listed are a true concern, i would like some input before the meting.
  6. csl

csl LawnSite Member

bottom line is that the engineer saves your butt. we did a wall for the city, it was 8' tall and around 200' long. cost me $1100 to have an engineer do all the plans and drainage and compaction reports. now if the wall ever fails we are safe. the other important thing is to take lots of pictures. pics of compaction, drainage, geotext etc. and what we usually do is have the geotext protrude a half inch or so from the face of the wall, get a final inspection (because they know its there, no argument) then trim the geogrid back with a razor.
  7. clclawn

clclawn LawnSite Member

so when is the engineer brought into the process. The project has a design so do i bid it and hire the engineer later, Or do you not bid on a design untill the engineer has gone over the project.

Also dose this mean the question i asked can not be awnsered on here?
  8. csl

csl LawnSite Member

what you need to do is sit down with the customer, if you can, and let them know all the details. let them know that this needs to be legally and correctly. going with the least expensive bid is not the best way to go, and you need to make sure they understand that, its a reassurement.
  9. Meezer

Meezer LawnSite Senior Member

The local codes here in NW Indiana require submittal of drawings with an engineer stamp on it to obtain permit for any wall over 4' high.
  10. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see........if you go to the engineer after you bid it, and he says you need twice the amount of geo fabric, he wants compaction reports, more drainage, etc. who eats that? I think you really need to consider whether this project is for you. But of course if you want to go for it and lose $ and maybe more, go for it. Also, I really hope you use a spell check program when you do contracts, will help your appearance of being a professional!