6" grass, mow from a raft?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Got Grass?, May 16, 2003.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

I'm getting so far behind with all this rain.
    My lawns are growing like crazy w/ the spring growth & all this rain, but a good portion of those lawns I simply cannot cut the 6" high grass because they are way to wet to get any equipment on.
    I know customers are getting upset with their grass being so long but there is nothing I can do about it. I've only had a few calls asking me to get there asap & a couple pissed off wondering where I am. I simply have to tell them I walked their property & it was way to wet. I would either get stuck, make ruts or tear up the turf. Eventually they understand & realize attempting to mow would cause worse problems then mowing foot high grass will. Fortunately next week is supposed to be mostly rain free & warm. Unfortunately it will take forever to mow these lawns when I do manage to get to them. Leaving the customers down on the list even more upset & taking even longer to get on a normal schedule.

Landscaping jobs are another story. Altho I have managed to get some smaller easier jobs done, the rest are falling behind. As it's quite hard to final grade topsoil that is now mud. Till up beds. Install shrubs in the backyard that is now a lake. Lay sod on top of water. Or seed in standing water.
    Those jobs can be put off a bit as the lawns MUST be done asap.

I can't believe some of guys I've seen out mowing making ruts, getting stuck, etc... just not my style...
    Anyone else in a similar boat? over 4" of rain this month most came down this week.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Same boat here in Maryland. I feel your pain.

I have some catching up to do this weekend and its going to be too wet to get on the lawns. Im not sure what to do.

Jimbo

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Things are similar here in Maine, It has been wet and the grass is growing like crazy. I will be caught up this weekend though. Most of my customers understand, just keep in touch with them so they don't think you forgot about them. Good Luck!!!!!

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer tell me he was going on vacation and could I cut him. I said sure. I cut him on Sunday, 5/4.. I rode past on Saturday, 5/10 and he was not back yet. I decided to cut him that day as well since if I didn't, it would be an absolute forest come Saturday, 5/17... Well, he calls me up complaining why is there 2 invoices and he never told me to cut it on 5/10, only 5/4..

And the kicker is that he tells me I didn't cut it low enough on 5/4 so that I made it where I had to come back on 5/10 and I'm scamming him.

I tell him that ALL my customers are cut at the same 3.5" height right now in the spring and that while he was gone, between 5/4 and 5/10, we had 5 days of rain and total clouds... and by 5/10 it was back to being over 5 to 6 inches tall...

I also told him I was in a lose-lose situation.

Cut it even though he told me not to - he's pissed.
    Don't cut it on 5/10 and he'd tell me why didn't I cause now the grass is 10 inches tall and will never get better..

I told him fine, pay me for the 1 cut we did truly "agree" to do and find someone else who will cut your lawn "as needed" as we had worked out all last year... Last year was my first year with him and I think the DROUGHT where he wasn't cut at all really spoiled him and what his money expectations were for the year for lawn maintenance..

Gary

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad he couldn't see you were trying to provide SERVICE. I think you handled it well. I'll bet last year when you were "on call" for this guy it threw wrenches into your route/scheduling.

6. stratofaster

stratofaster LawnSite Member

I feel your pain. We've got lots of rain here in Arkansas too. I just keep calling my customers and reassuring them that I will be there as soon as weather permits. At least they know that I am as worried as they are! Maybe when I finally get back in there, I'll do a little extra for 'em and let 'em know I appreciate their patience.

7. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

DEAR FELLOW WESTERN NEW YORKER: Doesn't this just suck....One of the longest coldest winters, one of the coldest & wettest springs, the highest taxed area in the nation, the worst scum sucking politicians in the world and we can't do a damn thing about any of it. Enough to drive a person over the edge:cry: :cry:

DID I MENTION THAT A FULL GRASS GOBBLER IS AVERAGING 62 to 85 POUNDS THIS SPRING????

mvc-001f.jpg

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to admit when I saw the heading " Season is wasting away." and the Yankee symbol on the catcher I couldn't help but laugh and think that you were talking about them.

I feel that our grass gobbler sometimes weighs about 50lbs everytime. It's bad enough that the catcher is heavy empty, but then add in wet grass...WHAT FUN!!!

9. Got Grass?

Suck is an understatement...
    Spent most of the winter waking up at 3am to look out the window, to see if 2" or 3" fell or if the 1" that fell the night before added up to 3". I honestly would have rather have 7' then nothing, compared to getting up at 3am calling & getting calls from guys 3 miles away just to check on the snow accumulation down the road.

From what I gather no one is getting many calls this year for new contracts.
    I've already had my catcher brackets welded once this year.
    Gotta have my neighbor weld it again. This time he's going to weld a plate onto it & beef it up, so it stops from breaking. I'm sure he's getting sick of me asking for a spot weld every couple weeks..... lol
    Hard enough to life one catcher onto the truck by myself... Guys w/ walkers must be really hurting.

Tax.... HA. more like pay for more useless studies, preventing any real progress to be done... revive the city.... What a joke... I'm all for the state control board taking over. At least some of the BS would be made public & hopefully something would get done.
    I'm not for the city tring to cover up their mistakes & preventing them from showing the real truth about the 100's of useless committees & organizations that only prevent real work & progress.
    Just take the bridge & zoo for an example...
    Stop the millions of tax relief & other freebies for the big corps who consider moving in... If we can blow the money on them, why not give small business reason to stay open. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....
    I could just scream....

10. Got Grass?

P&P how the heck are you able to actually fill a catcher w/o it getting clogged up with in the first 10ft?
    Cool scale ya got to weigh the bags... Bet your customers would be shocked to find out how much weight your actually hauling out.
    Go Y's