6" Maples and 20' Pines

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by brentsawyer, Dec 1, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a job that is fairly large and it also involves moving 10-12 Maples that are 5-6" and 12-14 20' Pines. The trees are located about 1 mile from where they will be transplanted to and I contacted a guy in town that has a 90" spade that is $150/hr. I am wondering about how long it would take per tree to move each tree and as how the best way to sub this out would be?

BTW, these make up a small % of the rest of the job so these are just one part and the trees belong to the owner of the land where I will be landscaping and are in rows that were planted about 7 years ago so he could move later when ready.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would get the time estimate from the tree spade guy and price accordingly, of course counting in your profit. Is he digging the transplant holes first???

3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Get a firm price from the "sub" then add on your percentage for setting it up etc.... about 15%. What the spade will do is plug a hole, then go bring a tree and set it ... putting the plug from the first hole into the hole the tree came out of.... probably carry on like that until he's finished... your lucky your only 1 mile but it's still going to be quite time consuming depending on how tough the ground is. If your lucky he may do it in one day.

4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Brent,
    I think we need a little more info to help you out like Ken asked. At the new site where the trees are going, are you digging the holes or is the spade guy going to? Are you ball & burlapping the trees at the old site for moving to new? I've ordered 10 ft austrian pines from a tree farm before and they dug them right in front of me with a Bobcat mounted spade. They had the burlap ready in the wire baskets right by their side and literally had one dug and wrapped within 10 minutes. So I would wager about 5 -6 trees per hour is possible if prep work is done. Those 20 footers might take a shy longer. I would guestimate that the spade guy would be factored in at $900 for 6 hours of work that it would take for the site where the trees are being dug from , then 2 more additional hours at the new site if he is digging the holes there. ( including travel, prep) Once he's left you've still gotta alot of work planting, aligning, amending soil and such. What equipment are you using to move the trees around at the new and old sites. Those rootballs on those 20's will weigh over 2200 lbs each so jockeying them from the old place to the new will eat up alot of time as well. Tell us what you're using for equip and we can help out a little more with $$$.

Mike

5. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Mike ...more than likely the guys spade is truck mounted and he will drive back and forth ...1 tree at a time ... your right though...more info is needed ... our lambur spade will only dig up to 3 "caliper..bobcat mounted ... can easily dig and basket 150 trees a day. When you start talking the caliper he is it's a whole other "animal".

6. brentsawyer

I'll post pics tonight

7. brentsawyer

Thought I would add in the pic. Forgot about it. The one pictured here I measured to be approx 24'2". We will be moving 24 of them w/ 90" spade along entryway to the site. This was one of the larger trees and I didn't get to calibrate it but looks to be 6"

View attachment buz&tree.jpg

8. brentsawyer

Thought I would add in the pic. Forgot about it. The one pictured here I measured to be approx 24'2". We will be moving 24 of them w/ 90" spade along entryway to the site. This was one of the larger trees and I didn't get to calibrate it but looks to be 6". Since it is mid-winter, the trees dorment enough to move w/ out burlap and will be placed w/ the spade. Only other ? that I have is that I found an old article in L&L that said that decidious trees like maple don't need and are not recommended for staking. If anyone has insight into this, pass it along.

buz&tree.jpg

9. It is better to move now while they are dormant. But better have a roootball the size of a pick up truck.I would charge a $100 a caliber inch.I would try somehow to rent a spade to do it myself.$150hr is way too much where you can rent one alot cheaper.That $150hr is cutting way to much into your profits.Transplanting these tree's and having them survive is a massive job.If you never have done this before on this scale I would'nt do it.Because more than likely the sub you will hire hasnt done it or wont take any liabilty in the plantings.Plus the pines be very careful with.This job says run while you can

10. brentsawyer

What? Everything in your post I have to disagree w/ 100%. Why would someone who has a 90" tree spade not know what they are doing. I would certainly hope that if they have made the capital investment to purchase such a piece of equipment like that they would definitely be much more qualified thean I would, which is the #1 reason I am contracting them to do the transplanting. Next, what business would I have renting a spade, if I could, currently there are no 90" tree spades around here for rent that I know of, do you know of any $100,000 tree spades like this that I could rent. To add, $100 per inch that's $600 per tree *24. That's $14,400. This is a job that could will be done in 2 days with that spade. Why would you suggest this is a massive job and wouldn't do it when basically I have nothing to do with it as labor goes. Finally, why on earth would I want to run from a job like this, this is a small part of a $35,000 job. Oh yeah, $150 per hour is way too much. For one, not when it takes less than one hour to transplant each tree and why would I care how much it is, I'm not paying for it.