1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

6 Month Old Sod Goes Brown

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by srglawn, Jul 23, 2009.

1. srglawn

srglawn LawnSite Member

First and foremost I would like to thank you greatly for reading this post. Here is our problem.

We put new sod (90/10) in our front yard 3 months ago and within the last month it is starting to turn yellowish/brown in some areas. We live in norther California and the lawn faces due west and receives lots of hot sun later in the day. We are trying to figure out what what the problem is and why our lawn looks this way. Many of our neighbors lawns are very green and healthy and others look like ours. Our lawn is watered 10 minutes
    a day at 4AM daily. Your opinions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

2. Rick Lime

Rick Lime LawnSite Member

You need to water new sod allot longer then 10 min a day. New sod needs to stay moist until it has an opportunity to set. Did you treat the soil with compost and 1/2 application of starter fertilizer before you laid the sod? And the other half after/ontop of the sod? You also need to keep traffic off of sod for some time...

By the way, daily watering is enough to kill your grass in many ways. Three months should be plenty of time for your sod to set if done right. Established turf should be watered no more then 1-1&1/2 hours per zone, once a week(exceptions during droughts).

Hope this helps!
  3. srglawn

srglawn LawnSite Member

Thank you very much. What I have learned is that if I dont water the lawn daily for 10 minutes, it will dry out completely but only in certain spots.
  4. Rick Lime

Rick Lime LawnSite Member

Your doing your lawn a disservice. First and foremost, watering daily promotes shallow root structure(in that case, drought=death). Properly established lawns do not need to be watered daily. secondly, constant moisture will promote disease. Grass has done just fine for billions of years without someone homeowner there to water it daily. Finally, constant watering will always reduce the residual for preemergents. Trust me, your part of the problem, and likely the reason you had to lay the sod in the first place. Its almost A/S season, just relax, and start over.
  5. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Man you folks in northern Cali have a false sense of what a "burned out lawn" is if those are the pics.I know most lawns in that area look like green indoor carpet but that is not anywhere close to burned out or dead.

Turn the sprinklers on for 60 minutes 4 times a week and be glad you live in the climate utopia of Northern Cali and enjoy your beautiful lawn.
  6. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe try raising heigth of the cut
  7. lawnmoorellc

lawnmoorellc LawnSite Member
    from INDIANA

and sharpen those blades you are tearing the grass not cutting
  8. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes raise the mower up to 3 inches.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

To give watering advice without knowing soil structure is a diservice.
  10. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

it also looks very densely packed and could be choking itself out a bit ,
    maybe try plugging it , my customers with healthiest / densest lawns plug every spring . and if they didnt (these people fertilize every year so its thick grass) itd start choking plus getting a thatch build up to also choke it

and if youve a built up thatch that maybe choking it out ive heard from a jerry baker fan friend of mine spreading lime with epsom salt mixed in dissolves the build up

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009