6 to 7 acres to cut, which Zero Turn to buy?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by kedmunds, Jun 2, 2008.

1. kedmunds

kedmunds LawnSite Member

Hello, I am needing some advice here. We just opened up a Kart Racing track and I have about 6 to 7 acres that I need to cut. We are located in Columbiana, Alabama, so we have grass growing about 10 months out of the year.

Would any or all of you please let me know what type, brand, and deck size mower you would suggest for our place? I know this can be a pricey decision, that is why I would like to make the best decision possible the first time around.

I'm open to hear of any mowers you think I should avoid, or any that I should certainly check out and possibly demo.

Any Suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Kirk Edmunds
    (205) 229-2772
    MotorSports Racing Club

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a look at the super z (Hustler) scag, exmark, toro. Wright, great dane, bad boy and grasshopper are all great commercial brands as well. Consider at least a 60" deck minimum.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd look into a kubota and maybe a front deck instead of ztr.

4. WETSCAPE

WETSCAPE LawnSite Member

I agree, the kubota will cost more up front, but will run and run and run......

5. Texsun

Texsun LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Here's another vote for Kubota. I have a ZD25 with the 60" prodeck and mow my 3.5 acres weekly. Takes about 90 minutes. On on the 3rd season and it hasn't missed a beat. It's built like a tank - nearly 2000 lbs! They often have 0% interest deals.

6. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Any steep inclines in the area you will be cutting?

I dont cut professionally anymore but I take care of my mothers 2.5 acres still. I use a Toro ZTR for it. The is one medium size location in the yard I will not cut with the ZTR do the the incline. The incline is not to steep for a normal garden tractor if used properly, but do to the ZTR's wheel base - light front end - no suspension - and no steering of the the front casters I find the roll over chance/lack of control to much to suit me.

There are ZTR's out there that can handle medium inclines pretty well from my understanding, but mine is just not on of them.

7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Get a 72" Ferris. You'll be through in about an hour.

8. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

I bought a Kubota ZD331 72" deck to cut my 5 acres, and occasionally my son's 3 acres. I love it. It is a bit heavy and has a problem with wet areas. I use my Kubota B7800 tractor with a 60" deck to mow the creek bank, the 4 wheel drive has no problem.
    This is my first zero turn mower and has a learning curve, but after a few hours it is easy and very quick.

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Look at several kubotas, you may elect to buy a tractor/mower. You could use the tractor for other maintenance work around the track as well.

10. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

My vote is for 60 or 66" Hustler Super Z. Drop the deck down and GOOOO! Maybe PuppyPaws will chime in with a time estimate.