6 weeks without cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dancom, Aug 18, 2002.

1. dancom

dancom LawnSite Member

I have been in the biz. for three years now. I live in the St Louis area. I have about 50 commercial accounts and about 60 residential. any way we have had a minor draught. about 5 weeks with no rain before that all spring with lots of rain. any way I have a restaurant that I cut (owners use to have lawn service) about 7 weeks ago they called me and ask me not to cut until they called me. Well today they called me (7 weeks since last cut) and want their grass cut right away (it has been raining pretty good for about a week and a half) all of my other accounts have been having me cut every week a few every two weeks my question is would you guys make this account a priority or make them wait until you are in their area again which will be about three days from now. I am not sure I want to keep this account what do you all think

2. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Unless they are paying a premium, I'd tell them they'd have to wait until I was in the area. Otherwise, they may be in the habit of stretching mowings drought or no drought. Good luck.
  3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Make it easy on yourself.

This particular account opted to call you when they were ready...thus making it easy on themselves (saving $$$).

You should do the same.

Just my .02 cents.
  4. If you have time do it-adjust price accordingly. If they squawk point out that weekly service = weekly price and others have stayed with program.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think SLS hit that nail on the head.
  6. Being from St. Louis, The "drought" has not had much effect on me.

Like the others have said do it when you are near, they opted it that way.

Wher in ST Louis you be?
  7. dr grass

dr grass Banned

id tell them to wait. than if you get out there and its 10 feet tall and you have to go over it 30 times, id charge accordingly for that also.

8. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

do unto others as they would do unto you......

if they made you wait, well ......tell them they have to wait...you have other customers that are with the program and they are standing in line waiting their turn.........do what ya gotta do
  9. dancom

dancom LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. i have already decided to make them wait. i just wanted someone elses imput. the grass is not real tall but it is a large piece of property about 1 1/2 acres. the grass is probualy 6-8 inches tall. these people owned a lawn service b4 they opened the resturant you would think they would know better. maybe thats why they got out. :D
  10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

if i went six weeks without cutting a property then i would have already replaced it with something else. you cant make money by being on stand-by. i would get there when i could.
    do you have a contract? were you getting paid for the six weeks?