6 X 12 Landscape Trailer will my sonoma do the job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Jan 15, 2002.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Ok heres the deal, went down to a trailer dealer the other day. I looked and got an estimate on this, it's a 6.5 X 12 single axle Landscape trailer equipped with, a big cage box in the front, 2 trimmer racks, shovel, rake holders and 4 ft sides. They want $2,487.00 for this. Right now I can only afford a new trailer and walkbehind. Im pretty sure that ill use this trailer for the next year or two. I dont use riders only w/b so im sure thats its big enough. What Im not sure about is if my 1991 Gmc Sonoma 4.3 v-6 will handle it. It's a strong truck with helper springs and a set of good size tires on it. I only plan on using this truck for about 4-6 months then im getting a 250 PSD. Has anyone towed with a s-10 or sonoma. The main concern is stopping and going down hills where the trailer tends to push you down the hill swaying from side to side. I dont really want to spend the $$ to get trailer brakes installed. Im going to be trading in this truck as soon as I can. Heres the weight of everthing, Trailer- 1000 pounds, Walkbehind- 300 pounds, 2 21"s 150 pounds. Total of 1450 pds, also I bag almost all my lawns and I always hve a full load of grass towards the end of the day. WILL I BE ABLE TO GET AWAY WITHOUT TRAILER BRAKES TOWING 1500 pounds

2. scagman

I wrote that the walkbehind weighed " 300 pounds". It weighs 406 pounds Exmark 32" metro. total weight at about 1550 pounds behind my truck.

3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

To much money for that trailer.

4. samk

samk LawnSite Member

agree to much for that trailer

5. scagman

Ive went to the dealer because I needed an estimate with the model # and dimesions ect. My father inlaw is an attourney and knows alot of people. It just so happens he has a friend that wholesales trailers. I think Ill be able to get for around $1500.

6. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with KDJ. Here in Florida I was getting some prices on Trailers,because I only have a 5x8 trailer. I pull my equipment with a Amigo Isuzu.

I was interested in a 6.5'x 12' Trailer & the price is $700.00, but w/no cage box & trimmer racks???? I am in almost the same situation u are, because I do not think the Amigo will pull a 6.5'x12' The only reason I have the 5'x8' is because I did not think I would need any bigger + the price was $350.00. But BOY was I wrong !!! Scagman, I think U need to shop around, that seems a little to high for an Open Trailer.:blob3:

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Scagman,

You should be able to get a 6X12 single axle 3500 lb for around $1200.00 I had my welder fabricate cage, trimmer racks, enclose tow for gas cans and crate for hand tools, trimmer holders and water cooler holder for $600.

Your truck should pull this no prob. Just use a class 3 hitch not a bumper ball!!

Bob

8. scagman

I think an Izuzu amigo will struggle pretty bad towing a 6 X12. Is it a 4 banger. If you do get the 6X12 let me know how it goes.

9. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

6x12 trailer new, 750.00 tops. 100.00 for each trimmer rack and 200.00 for cage. 1150.00 . Plus tax.

10. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Scagman,

Yes it is a 4 Banger, that's why I know it will not pull a 6.5'x12' Trailer,because it struggles w/my 5'x8'. Like I said I was qouted $700.00,again w/out racks etc..... I have them on my 5'x8'. Does anyone think this 4 Banger will pull a 6.5"x12' Trailer? Please let me know if anyone has done this? If so I will ride the Amigo out till it POOPS OUT!! I will try anything if it is paid for.:D