6 Zone Manifold and Valve Box - Fimco Indexing Replacement

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by anotherbrian, Aug 10, 2012.

1. anotherbrian

anotherbrian LawnSite Member

I am (finally!!) replacing my 6 zone Fimco Indexing Valve with 6 electical valves. One option is to use two 3-zone manifolds:

___L_L_L____L_L_L

I am not finding a valve box sufficiently large to hold both of the 3-zone manifolds, so I would need two valve boxes.

Another option is to use three cross manifolds with two valves hung off each cross:

---+-+-+

In this option, I have found a valve box that will work, but it is large and fits poorly (i.e., a lot of the space is unused).

Is one or the other better? Suggestions?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Use a 12" standard for three valves, spot a 10" round for the isolation gate valve.

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't always work... depends on the size of his valves. I can barely squeeze 3 1.5" into a jumbo.

Maybe Boots will chime in, he can build a 6 valve manifold that'd fit up a gnats a$$.

4. Mike Leary

True, I was thinking 1" valves, figured Boots would come on with one his stolen pics.

5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Funny eh? the differences in areas; 1" valves are unusually small in my market, 1.5 more common even for residential.

Smaller valves for city water & then used as a master for an indexing valve.

6. Mike Leary

That is interesting, I've never, except in large commercial sites, used anything more than 1", since I never exceeded 12-15 gpm per zone, even though I've used 1 1/4" mainline pipe in the megas and 1" for the sub-laterals. :waving:

DSCN2151medford.jpg

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

like, what's the backflow preventer, man?

8. anotherbrian

I have an existing back flow preventer. Our regs in our locality would require certified testing (spelled d-o-l-l-a-r-s) if I touch it (or replace it). So I am leaving it alone. It sits a foot above ground level (give or take) and every sprayer for that matter.

I am using 1" valves.

The gnat thing sounds interesting.

9. anotherbrian

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Six in a regular box :)

[​IMG]