60,000 Mailers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by American_Lawn, Sep 24, 2008.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I went to a shop today and built my list for next season. I want to only market myself to a certain area around me. About 10-15 miles. Well the lady said that there would be about 60,000 names that come back. Thats after going through households with an annual income of $50,000+ and lots under 15k. Should I go for the big bang or divide this into two sections. Market to one area the first season then the other the second season? What other demographics do you guys have these people pull? I am ready to go balls to the wall. The lady told me to expect a 1-2% return, so if I get 2%thats 1200 and 1% would be 600. What can I expect (%) of those calls I land the account?

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

nothing even close to 1% if your market is like michigans.

3. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

I had to laugh at Picasso. Since you're in TX, you won't have to subscribe to that line of reasoning, but even in Michigan, it's a matter of being creative with your mailer. There are two ways to view the market and circumstances. You either go in defeated because you believe the economy is bad, or you look for opportunity and sieze it. It always exists. Why settle for 2% or less when you can get 3%, 5%, or higher. Of course, if you choose a template and market yourself like everyone else, then you get average results. Since 80% of all businesses fail in 5 years or less, I don't recommend that option.

I'm in Michigan too, but if I adapt the thinking I hear others around here regurgitating, I'd already be defeated. No thanks! I've beat the odds too long to start listening to the prophets of doom and gloom, and I don't intend to start now. Besides, I know for a fact they are wrong. It's like Henry Ford said, "If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." Since I know that to be true, I say proceed with caution, but don't let fear get in your way.

4. P.Services

creative do you mow or do web design?

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

wht is it goin to cost you to do tht many mailers?? jus wondering

6. P.Services

whats it going to cost to make them? i did 30k i know how much this can run.

7. American_Lawn

I get the price on friday. I will be printing them out from my own source. I get a very very cheap rate. They are only making the list and mailing them for me. I will know more once I get them designed and everything. I will post the price for the list once I get it.

8. American_Lawn

What was your cost for a list that big?(LIST ONLY)
    What was it for everything?

9. P.Services

so from your own source what did they run you, just the fliers that is? im assuming you dont mean your own home printer right?

10. cbscreative

cbscreative LawnSite Member

Picasso, I hope you didn't take offense. I wasn't laughing at you, I laugh at the idea that the economy is more important than it really is. I have a client in manufacturing, and in Michigan, yet they are doing well which is saying a lot.

To directly answer your question, I do web design with other related services. I know how things are in this state, but there are always ways around every situation. It does require creative thinking, so my main point is about stepping back and solving the problem so you can make a business successful. There is always a way, even if it requires a change (usually does). Even in the worst economy, people don't stop spending money, they just need to feel like the money is worth it.

I see business owners lamenting the economy, which here, it is bad, but that doesn't mean there is not opportunity. I've been in business long enough to know that economic conditions have little effect on those who seek to solve problems. It may be tough, and right now it is, especially here, but every challenge has a solution. I'm not a lawn guy, I make that clear, but I am a business person, and I know how to overcome adversity.