60" 0r 72"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rob T, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

I know this question is very dependent on your individual lawns. But, I was just wondering if anyone uses a 72" Z on residential jobs.

I was thinking of selling a few old 60" machines I have and getting a new 72" Lazer. Most of my lawns are 1/2 - 3/4 acre flat lawns. They are all residential and none have fences I couldn't get through with a larger machine. There's plenty of larger lawns around here. So i'm not worried about missing an opportunity to mow a lawn that I can't get into with the large machine. My biggest concern is scalping or leaving a uneven cut.

So, what do you guys think? Should I try the 72" or just play it safe and stick with my 60" machines? Do any of you guys use 72" Z's on residentials? How do they workout for you. What are the Pros and Cons?

ps: Flex Deck, I know, I know...but no thanks.:)
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd go with the 72 Rob.

I have three 72" Toro Groundsmasters (not Z's) that we use on residental properties all year long (along with 52 and 61 WB's). Go for the Ferris Z with the IS (independent suspension) and you'll have to worry a whole lot less about scalping.

Good luck in whatever you decide...
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 60 inch lazer, but i have seen a few guys running 72 inchers on residentials and commercials. i say if you dont have any obstacles and you dont have problems with gates.... why not go for the 72.
  4. I havn't been without one since.
    The dealer was astounded to hear I was going to mow residentials with it.
    I can't believe that question is still being asked more than 25 years later.

Today my 72" is my trim mower for my 16' Toro 580-D.
    Yeah I'm still mowing residentials, just a little bigger ones.

Without a doubt, the biggest problem with larger mowers is peoples perceptions of them. After proving to them you're not tearing up their lawn and actually doing a superior job, then they want to pay you less money!

Some customers are incredibly stupid! Or maybe they just think that I am.

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We'd tried a 72" a while back on RESIDENTIALS. The guys complained about it not fitting in certain areas. I noticed a reduced quality of cut. (A little more scalping.)

AND the biggie:

Our timesheets didn't reflect decreased times.

On Commercial properties, that's another story....
  6. I keep demoing 72", but never see any decrease on resi.

I found the same results as Mr Kent here.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I use my 72" midmount Grasshopper on several residential properties that have large wide open areas of turf. It does a very nice job, no different than the cut of my 60" mowers. We see a reduction in mowing time when we use it on any big job, residential or commercial.
    If you are going to get a 72" midmount, I would buy something other than the Exmark. Due to its complicated design, it has a maze of belts and and pulleys. Many moving parts to wear and break. In the 72" size, you will be much better off with a Grasshopper midmount or a Dixie Chopper. Also, get a diesel powered machine. The 72" will eat gasoline at an alarming rate. My 28 HP, Kubota diesel Grasshopper uses only 1/2 gal. of fuel/hr, even in heavy mowing conditions. A similar gasoline-powered 72" machine can use nearly 2 gal./hr. :D
  8. The 72" has no more belts then the 60" 52" Ztr much less 36" hydro WB.

A whole 3.....

It's not comlicated or anymore then the 72" DC you recomended.

The diesel is more complicated then the gas mowers.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If your lawns are wide open as you say then you will see a reduction in your mowing time. If there are any tight areas you probably won't. I've been using a 72" for nearly 3 years now along with a 50" and between the 2 we mow 1/2 acre properties in 25 minutes or less.......this is from start to finish including all the trimming. Some, depending on the layout, can be done in 19-20 minutes.

I don't own a 60" so I can't compare times from one to another.

On large commercial properties I know for sure it's a time saver.

As for scalping.............in my opinion the smaller decks are worse than the big boy........it tends to float over these places.
  10. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Rob T
    If you have not had a 72, make sure that it will fit on your trailer with every thing else before you buy.