60-70 yds of fill dirt

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Greener Grounds NC, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Greener Grounds NC

Greener Grounds NC LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you guys do with topsoil and dirt compared to your mulch per yd quotes. Mulch is $27-29 per yd and we charge around $85-90 per yard installed depedning on how much wheelbarrowing is needed. Topsoil here is $13 per yard. I was thinking around $55 per yard installed. the only thing im going to be able to get to the back of the house with to dump is a small dump trailer cant take any tandem axles in there. I will also have to rent a bobcat/skid steer and it is $300 per day. If you guys have any input please reply. this customer is wanting a grade from the existing lawn and wanting to extend it outward and overseed to extend grass. thanks in advance.

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

You should be a minimum of a 100 a yd installed. Plus seed cost ,time to pickup bobcat Topsoil ,you handle a lot more plus you have raking time and clean up

3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Did a similar job last year. 60 yards soil to the rear of a property.

* Cost of material + my mark up
    + Hired a sub to move dirt from curb to rear of house
    + My cost to "supervise" the job
    = Total cost to customer.

Total time was 6 hours, in wetter than normal conditions, and some of that was waiting for the 2nd and 3rd load of dirt to arrive. Total cost was around $2500. We could never get a $100 a yard installed for dirt.

4. Greener Grounds NC

with my measurements the slope gradually goes from 3.5' to abount 5" over a 30' section. I think i will put my estimate in around $3,200 for 70 yard max.. that includes bobcat rental etc. the grass seed will be about $100 more

5. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to be in the $40-50 range. 70 yards could come on a walking floor trailer in one drop. You will probably get a discount too if you order a full trailer. Id say the cost of the topsoil+ $1170. Easy one man job. Get the dirt dumped in the morning. Few hours on the bobcat trucking dirt to the back. I figure round trip is 2-3 mins, and you should be able to get one yard in the bucket. So that's about 3 hours of transporting dirt to the back of the house. Then maybe 1.5 hrs leveling it all off. Then 30 mins to seed and fertilize it. Maybe a little more time if you're putting down straw on top of it. Even if you rent the bobcat, you still easily looking at 75-100 per hour. Don't overbid an easy job.

6. Greener Grounds NC

bobcats come standard with a 1/2 yard bucket.

7. Greener Grounds NC

picked up the job at a 3,500 max.