60 Exmark Pto

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by anj, Sep 16, 2006.

1. anj

anj LawnSite Member

Has Anyone Had This Problem With Their Mower? I Was Doing A Yard Today And I Stopped The Blades From Turning To Go Over The Other Side Of The Driveway. When I Pulled The Pto Knob I Did Not Here The Sound Of The Blades Turning. I Pushed It In And Out About Three Times Finally I Heard The Blades Turning. Is My Pto Switch Going Out On Me? I Have The Mulching Kit On My Mower And I Thought Maybe I Had Too Much Grass Under It.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

could be switch, clutch, connections or wiring. you need to give us some more info on the unit.

3. anj

anj LawnSite Member

When I Pulled The Knob I Could Hear Something Turning But I Did Not Hear The Blades Making The Fan Sound. Sometimes When I Pull The Knob There Is A Second Delay Before The Blades Turn. Today Was The First Time I Have Had Nothing At All Happen. When I Got To My Trailer I Set My Break And Pulled The Knob A Few Time To See If The Belt Was Turning And It Was Each Time The Blades Began To Turn.

4. khouse

it sounds like the deck belt and or tensionor. Even if a belt looks good it can be worn and be too deep in the pulley to work. check it out and post back

5. anj

anj LawnSite Member

So The Belt Was Just Spinning But Not Turning The Blade. That Sounds Like What Was Going On. I Will Check It Out. Thanks

6. khouse

belts are made to grip from the sides of the belt. sometimes a belt will wear down into the bottom of the pulley and rubs on the inner part of the belt. this keeps the sides of the belt from gripping. could be your problem. it's a guess at this point.

7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If you have an air compressor try blowing out the dust in the clutch assembly behind the motor. You will get a big ball of black dust and it will help with your problem. I blow mine out once a week. Try not engaging you blades with any more than half throtle. Remember when you pull the pto you have to have the clutch engage and start not only the blades but the ultra vac too. Try scraping out the ultra vac above the fan. It will help with engaging. My fan was so worn out after 1400 hours that I had it rebuilt cuz any time I finished the day with a wet or even damp lawn the following morning I would have to scape the ultra vac out cuz it would not turn just smoke the belt. Blow out clutch and check out the ultra vac. it helps

8. anj

anj LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys This Helps Out When You Cant Talk To Your Dealer. I Have Been Trying To Blow Off The Equipment After Each Use.

9. rluscomb

rluscomb LawnSite Member

I had a similar problem w/our toro, you pull the pto, nothing, couple more times wala go cut. Turns out it was one of the 20amp fuses getting poor connection, cleaned it, dilectric greased it and a new fuse, no problom mon.

10. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Have Been Blowing Off The Clutch Housing After Each Use And I Did Not Have A Problem All Week Long. I Cant Figure It Out.