1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

60 inch mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MImowerkid, Dec 5, 2004.

1. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

In spring I hope to take up a pretty large commercial account and I would need to get another mower to handle the extra amount of mowing. I have a 52 inch z so I was considering a 60 inch w.b.Gear drive with a sulkey with a fixed deck . Does anyone know who makes a good one ? so far I have looked at toro exmark and j.d. and no one makes a 60 inch cut. Thanks in advance!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The VERY last mower you would want is a 60" gear drive WB...though I don't think they exist today.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I thought Scag use to make one, or was it only hydro?
  4. Texas Mower Parts

Texas Mower Parts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I believe all of the 60" walk behinds will be Hydros. You use to be able to buy a 72" gear drive, but I think those days are long gone. :waving:
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Why don't you just get a ztr? I'd rather sit down and be comfortable than stand up. JMO
  6. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a belt-drive 36" and I have to say that it'd be cold day in he** before I'd try to pull a 60" walk-behind mower.

Do you have any idea what kind of headaches you're asking for? You get a 60" belt-drive mower nose down into a slope and have to pull it out, you aint gonna do it by hand, take my word for it.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

60" gear drive WB? Wow, are you as strong as pro wrestler or pro ball player??? Manhandling a 60" belt WB, I pass.... besides they don't exist presently.
  8. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 72" Scag SW belt drive (17 HP Kawasaki) I use on "pool table flat" properties. Scag doesn't make them any more and everyone is right about not moving a big WB that's stuck by hand. I've even gotten my Tiger Cub stuck trying to pull this beast out when it's stuck. We have a Velke for the machine and if the deck hits the ground when your mowing, you're just along for the ride cause it's going where ever it wants. There's no way one man can tilt the deck up to change the blades (we use the trailer gate) so you can forget about dragging this beast backwards up a hill by hand. The manual says it weighs 610lbs.

9. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

HOLY SNIKIES, what a beast
  10. smlavin

smlavin LawnSite Member

My back hurts just looking at that thing! :D :D :D :D