60 inch or 72 inch..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Jun 8, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i have a 48 inch bobcat right now but i need someting bigger.. a lot of my lots are 1-3 acres. I'm going to buy a exmark. a 60 inch 27hp kohler is $7400 and the 72 inch is 27hp kohler $7900. thanks for any suggestions. and what do most of you guys use.

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would go with the 72 for 500 bucks more. It may be underpowered though. 27 Hp for a 60 is good. depends if you have a lot of spring growth, or you are in a dry area.

Trevor

3. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

id go with the 60 in you will be less likely to scalp and trevor is right 27 hp will not be enough power.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I went from a 60" Lazer to a XT3200-72 Dixie Chopper. I was extremely frustrated at the beginning with the cut but now have it "tuned" in and couldn't be happier. I cut all my properties with it... smallest being 7000sf.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we have a 72 Cub Tank will not scalp anymore then the two 60's. Lock the front end in solid If you have 1 acre or larger lawns, go with the 72. It will cut circles around a 60

6. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

just got a 72" viper and it does take some getting used to, but it is the best thing to cut the 9acre soccer field, cut my time by a hour and 15 mins. and got it for a good deal.

IT has a 33hp generac, i cut parts of my own lawn today that hadnt been cut for 3 weeks because of rain and it was 12 or so and it went right through it at 3.5 in.

7. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

so i guess a 72 inch won't scrape anymore then a 60 inch. i'm starting to look as i should get a 72 inch. i see most lawn companys with a 60 inch though. any reason why there aren't more 72 inch around

8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Now I'm running 2 60's also going with the 72in would like to save more time.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I think most people are afraid they WILL scalp easily, scare residential customers, and while being more productive... be very limited as to where they can be used.

I've been mauling over the same question as you are asking yourself for quite a while. I am considering adding a second ZTR in the 60-72" range for use next season depending on rather or not some opportunities promised actually materialize.

By default I would choose a 60" cut. But all things considered, keeping a 48" ZTR will continue to be a must for next year also. So, I'm thinking if I really want a production increase way beyond a 48" cut, why not go all out and get a 72" cut?

I feel that's atleast a valid question. But given the terrain around here and the abundance of poorly graded, choppy turf areas, I would have to log some considerable seat time to feel comfortable stepping up to a 72" cut.

With that said, I suggest you log some seat time of your own and make the decision you think is best for your situation. I think you are on the right track already, but don't forget the additional initial investment for a 72" really is very very small over the long haul when you consider the additional production and earnings potential.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

we have a 72 cub, with a Generac 28 hp, lots of power, they went to a 33 gen, that must really have the torque. We cut some property yesterday, had'nt cut it for 4 or 5 weeks, the 72 cuts that stuff better then my 60's, and 1 60 has a 27 kohlor. The kohlor is'nt lacking guts, the 72 just seems to cut the high stuff great. And yes the 72 will run circles around the 60's. we cut lawns as small as probably 4000' and up w/72.