60" Lazer has no power.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWingsDet, Sep 15, 2006.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

My mower is a 2003, 60" Lazer with the 26hp Kolher EFI with 1100 hours.
    All but two of my lawns are small (under 10k sq ft.). Well, im cutting one of those small lots, finish up, mower runs fine and everything, load it in the trailer, still running good, go to the next lawn, try to pull it out of the trailer and it had no power, a hissing sound, running really rich, spark plugs really black.

I put new plugs in, and same thing.

Any idea what could cause this? O2 Sensor? Valve?

2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Are they black carbon fouled (dry), or black oil fouled (wet)?

If they can get black before you even get out of the trailer, sounds like your getting oil into the combustion chamber somehow. How is your oil level? Are you seeing smoke in the exhaust?

Sounds like some kind of engine rebuild is in your near future.

Kevin

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel pump/ECM issues dude, take it into the dealer.

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same machine with 1400-1500 hours. I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but it'll be a cheap way to check. Pull the vavle covers off (5/16" wrench, 4 bolts/side) and make sure the bolt didn't come out of the valve lifter (rocker arm). I had this happen this summer. It's sounds a little similar, but I'm not an engine guy, either. I had each side come loose a week apart from each other. Put never seize on the bolts and it's held up since. Good luck, Marc

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest checking exhaust flow out of the muffler, Baffles will break loose inside causing a restriction. When this happens the engine starts making a awkward sound, Fouls plugs and has no power. I have replaced three so far this season on EFI's.

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello," HISSING SOUND" pin hole in muff or eng pipes sucking in air causing lean condition at oxy sensor??????
    tomo

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

it turned out to be baffles inside the muffler causing the machine to do this. the muffler had to be replaced.