1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

60" Lazer owners - What blades do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I bought my Lazer about three weeks ago. The first week I was just amazed at how quickly I was getting lawns cut compared to my 50" Gravely with about a 4 mph ground speed. The blades that came on the unit were high lift (I think) with a "u" cut out of foil. I wasn't particularly thrilled with the cut 'cause it was leaving some grass uncut. So a couple of days ago I switched to what I hope is high lift (according to dealer) with a solid foil. Well, same thing... all grass is not being cut! It's not in one particular spot... it's all over the place. I find my self having to double cut just about every lawn.. not because of over lay but because blades of grass are still standing. Deck is level, clean, belts ok (self tensioning), and blades are new. The only thing I haven't checked is rpms.

I bought this mower because everyone says this things cuts through anything... yeah... but twice to look good.

Anyway, I'd like to know what blade you've had the best success with... if you have the part # great!

2. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

check your rpms, slow down your ground speed and gator magnums.
  3. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I don't know that is just an Exmark thing. My Scag does this same exact thing. Sometimes it is better, sometimes it's worse. Seems to make no difference which blade is on, or what combination of them. I have noticed though that height of cut makes a big difference in the stringers that are left. I've found that if I try to cut a lawn too tall it will not cut for anything. On the same lawn if I lower a half inch in cut height the cut is much better. I know I don't have an Exmark, but I just thought you might want to consider the fact that it might not be the blades.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Did you sharpen the new set of blades, or just put them on with the 1/4" thickness of paint on them? These blades have to be sharp! Other than that, stay with the solid foils. Are they Exmark, or another brand? Also, skip the Gator Magnums for grass, unless you are running them WITH solid foil highlifts. Good luck to you.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Will Gators give the same or better lift than other blades? This is important as I cut everything at 3.5" or higher...

I think I will try a set of magnums though because of the thickness of the blade.

Do you think blade flex has anything to do with it? While I was checking under the deck pressing and pulling on the blade to see if there was any play in the spindle I noticed I could easily bend the blade up and down...
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I get the same thing with my 2000 Dixie 60",especilly at 3.5".It leaves a bit of grass uncut,it doesnt seem to matter if i go 3mph or 10,still leaves a bit,I guess Im fussy,but especially when its reseeding itself,or wet this is a problem,and i double cut.My deck is spotless clean,RPM's are about 3800,blades razor sharp.It is aggravating,and doesnt happen all the time,the grass seems to be real stubborn now,not making things any easier.Sometimes though itll cut perfect at wide open,and i couldnt be happier.They make 3" wide hi-lift blades for the dixie 60".I think the exmark can take the same blade,you might want to try them,they really pull a lot of air,I like to use them when im not running doubles,since they can really throw the grass.
  7. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

the magnums are a 1/4" thick and have a higher lift than the stock blades
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

My first suggestion is to get a digital Tach. Set free load RPM's at 3750.

Second, SLOW DOWN! Not all grass can be cut at 10mph at 3.5" by any mower!

I have found that the solid foil aka DC blades are about the best for a 60" I have to look into the actual Lazer OEM solid foils when I'm at the dealer next.

Your deck can NOT be level for best results. You must have a 1/4" front pitch.

Hope these ideas help.
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Like John said.. slow, fast or inbetween... does not matter.

About deck being level... I meant side to side. I do have a pitch, front being lower than back.. but I'm not sure if it's 1/4". I'll have to check that. It's gonna be tough to find a perfectly level place to check this...

No more than 1/4"?
  10. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 60" Lazer and have been running the stock high lift solid foils. I am thinking about adding a Gator Mag on top just to see if it helps. Have had the same problems and so far the cure for me has been lowering the deck one notch or two, if I stay around the 3.5 to 3.75 I usually get a good cut.

Hope this helps..