60" Lazer Z backfires then stalls

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by childret, Oct 1, 2007.

1. childret

childret LawnSite Member

lazer z with I think the 23 hp kohler command engine. It runs good for about 20 min then all of a sudden it starts backfiring then eventually stalls. Fuel filter sometimes has fuel in it and sometimes has very little fuel in it. Once it stalls, it will imediately starts right back up. Seems like it only does it when there is a load on the engine. Fuel pump problem? or something to do with the fuel? .. any suggestions will help. Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check your gas cap and make sure it's venting properly.

3. childret

childret LawnSite Member

I will try that in the morning but i can switch between the two tanks and it does the same thing

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

After it shuts down remove the fuel line from the carb and hold it over a container then crank the engine over to see if the pump is pumping fuel.

This almost sounds like coils heating up and dropping spark but I don't remember ever seeing both fail at the same time unless it is equipped with SAM ignition.

Have you checked for spark after shut-down just for giggles ?

5. childret

childret LawnSite Member

well i never checked for spark when it dies but as soon as it stalls it will imediately start right back up...its real weird.......

6. Nicdv1

Nicdv1 LawnSite Member

maybe check oxygen sensor, hasnt it got the diagnostic flashing lights?

7. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

So it turns off....then the starter kicks it over again...?

8. childret

childret LawnSite Member

no...it will stall the engine out.....then as soon as you turn the key it will start right back up.