1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

60 or 72 inch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, question, preferably with the same brand of mower how much quicker is it to mow with the 72 deck on the same job [only talking about the open area jobs] time lost?
    I understand that if it is a combination job with smaller areas a 60 will gain back some time and a another bonus is the 60 should be able to maintain a higher cutting speed with less load on the motor at any given time.

Comments TOMO :waving:
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have both...it means alot of difference, like almost 20% increase from the 61's we run to our 72's.
  3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I WOULD LISTEN TO HIM!!!:waving:
  4. rodfather

yes and no...only "if" the 60 is running the same hp as the 72. actually, it all depends upon the mowing conditions, operator familiarity with the property, moisture content, and a host of other factors to take into account.
  5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

the vast majority of commeercial mowers is 60'' but id love to get a 72''
  6. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

My question Rodfather do you ever feel 72 is just to much deck?
  7. rodfather

more often than not, not enough :laugh:
  8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, as u have stated, comparing same machine with same engine and two deck sizes .I do understand that in light conditions the 72 will always be ahead but in peak conditions ,i would expect the 72 to slow down in heavy conditions only slightly though. [bi weekly cuts]

The machine in question is ztr with diahatsu/ briggs diesel NO turbo. My thoughts is it would lack a little when put to test behind 72.[in peak season] heavy conditions short or long but always wet with blades of grass with high moisture content.

As i am aware there will always be a diff in cut time 60-72 but unfortuately the brand i am looking at does not offer 66 cut size as some others. Please remember that gas is around 33% higher in cost in OZ. Gas units r only a border line choice in 60 inch.Over 60 mostly diesel.

thanks tomo
  9. rodfather

Tomo, my 25 hp diesel Toro Groundsmasters (front mounted 72" decks) will mow circles around my 27 hp and 35 hp gasoline Z's either in the 61 or 72 inch decks. The torque in those diesels is hard to comprehend. I have used them to practiclly brush hog grass that is waist high on more than one occasion, believe me.
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Does a 35 hp, 72 inch ztr such as the sabre tooth tiger qualify for a WAM?