$60 per man, per hour.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 21, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is the goal, right? everyone seems to have a target of $60 per man, per hr, for mowing. company #1 has a $35,000 shiny truck, an enclosed trailer with fancy pictures on the side, 2 - $9,000 walkers. top of the line blowers/wackers/edgers/. a $600 edger. his target is $60 per man hour. company #2 has a 1991 ford f-150. a single axel open trailer. 2-48" walkbehinds purchased used. a couple of wackers/and blowers. an edger purchased at home depot for $200. HIS target is $60 per man hour. anything wrong with this picture?

2. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Let us NOT forget about talent ...? And reputation..The company with the new fancy equipment may just be smoke and mirrors.

3. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

One of them is a businessman. The other, well, he cuts grass for a living.

4. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

New does not make it more dependable or better at doing it's job.

I like company #2.

5. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby company 1 needs to hump it a lot more to make $60.00 per hour, due to the over head. They have to bring in maybe 120.00 per man hour to make that 60, while 2 needs about 70.00 per hour to clear that 60.00

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know about Walkers other than I'll need one in like 20 years (what are they btw...mowers that is?). You are looking at one instance in B&W and the other in Color from my point of view.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, my point is, most companies look at a target of, gross, $60 per man hr. you are not going to get much more. but why is the high overhead company, and the low overhead company, both setting a target of $60 per man hour? i've never heard the lower end company say, "our target is $40 per man hour." shouldn't everything be relative?

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing is relative in this business Bobby other than the price of fuel and the price of equipment. Period

9. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I do commercial maintenance, I spend the minimum on vehicles and mowers, thats, as little as i can not the most. I dont let my ego run my purchasing dept. I therefor, all things being the same, earn more money per hr than the people with the higher per hr overhead.

My minimum includes all commerical equipment and a well running proffesionl looking truck. Your point is well taken and very important when looking at the numbers and shooting for 60 per man per hr.

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

You got that right, what is relative in my business,might be completely irrelative for yours.