60" Sz

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by superman, May 16, 2003.

1. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I am having trouble with my Kawi on my Super Z. At low and mid RPM everything is great. When I get into the upper RPM's, the mower tends to stumble a little. It sputters and almost acts like it wants to die. This has been happening for a week. Any suggestions? I am going right now on the idea that it is water in the gas.

Also, will you be able to get a 27HP Kawi this year or just the Kohler?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Does your unit have the HD filter system ? if not I would check your air filter, put a new one in it and try it, although the old filter may look good, it may be plugged, in this case you will need to change your plugs also, as they may be fouled.
    If you have the new filter system, you may have water in the fuel or a plugged jet or tube in the carburetor, this would involve removing the carb and cleaning it out thouroughly.
    If you do not feel comfortable doing this, please take it to your dealer.
    Hope this helps
    Pj

3. superman

superman LawnSite Member

I only have the standard air filter. It looks ok, I mean it's not new clean, but I wouldn't consider it that dirty. I clean the foam one with warm water about every 3 or 4 weeks, I have never replaced the paper one yet. (Note: I only have 80 hrs on it)

Thanks for the help

Judd

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Replace it and your spark plugs, and let me know if it is better.
    I have seen them look new but be plugged and cause the unit to run rich and foul your plugs.
    Let me know
    Later
    Pj

5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have fought this same problem all last year, you have to change your air filter and pre-cleaner and your fuel filter and your plugs. Having the new air filter didn't help either, my mower would start acting bad within 10 hours after I changed everything. I finally changed everything this spring and gapped my plugs 3 degrees less than what the owners manuel said to, I forget what they say to set them at but an example would be if they say to gap your plugs at 34 I gapped them at 31. I don't know if this is a fix for everyone but it has worked for me, 150 hours without it cutting out. I had 600 hours on mine last year and 2 kawasaki air filters, 10 donaldson air filters, 11 fuel filters, 20 plugs, carb apart and cleaned 4 times and nothing worked until I gapped the plugs down 3 degrees.

6. superman

superman LawnSite Member

Looks like it is fixed. I had the dealer replace both plugs and we put a new air filter on and everything looks fine right now.