60" turf tracer deck cracks

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by JKOOPERS, Aug 21, 2006.

1. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

just curious why my deck is developing cracks on both of deck support rods mount to to beck with the roll pins. it seems to me that the deck is pretty heavy and this problem needs to be addressed.

2. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Are you kidding me? What year is your 60" Tracer?
    I beat the heck out of my 52"TTHP back when I have it as frontline mower, it still have not shown any crack.

3. JKOOPERS

its a 2004 turf tracer . now my hp is 6 years odl and doent have a problem. the 60" is a whole lot heavier.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

JKOOPERS,

Thanks for taking the time to talk to us with your concern.

More than likely it is due to wear in the deck support rod wear bushings. If you look where the deck support rods go through the frame, there are bushings that are held in place with retaining rings. As these bushings wear, they allow the deck to 'slop' around more and more. Too much 'slop' will allow the deck to move side to side and front to back instead of simply floating up and down. This movement puts a lot of stress at the deck support rod mounting area on the deck, which over time can lead to stress fractures.

Typically the bushings don't wear evenly, you'll often times have more wear at the rear portion of the bushing that anywhere (running the deck into and onto items), so you can get a little more life out of them by simply rotating them 90 degrees every once in a while.

If it's gotten to the point where you have some cracking occur, the best fix is to 'v' the crack out and weld it up.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, let us know.

Thanks,

Lenny

5. JKOOPERS

oh yeah i have some cracking . so i should replace the back deck support rods? The cracking i am gfetting is on the front .

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

May or may not need to replace the rods. If they are worn down on one side, I'd replace them. You most likely need to replace the deck rod support bushings (p# 1-513336) though, and it'd be a good idea to weld up those cracks.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Lenny