60" vantage or grandstand owners...experience??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chariot, Apr 1, 2012.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys looking for some user feedback. I just demoed a 52" exmark vantage as that was the only size demo available. I'm interested in purchasing a 60" and wondering about any differences that may be of concern, specifically if there are any scalping issues, adequate power or anything else worth mentioning...? I mention the grandstand due to the similarities and don't need this to turn into a scag or wright is better debate.

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you need a 60" deck? I really like my 52" Vantage. It still mows fairly quick, leaves a great cut, and fits in just about anywhere you can get a 48" walkbehind. I thought the 60" machine looked pretty nice, but seems like unless you do a lot of flat mowing, it would maybe scalp a bit more. I'm kicking around buying a 60" Vantage too.

3. chariot

Yea I'm definitely getting a 60". I'm keeping my sit down but basically replacing it with the vantage. Been running 60"since about 1998 and don't wanna go back now. I know there's not as many out there as 52's but I'm hoping to hear something good or bad. Thanks guys

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Demoed a 60" Vantage for a week. Ended up buying it. Scalping was not bad considering the size of the deck. NO worse than my 60" turf tracers actually. Am adding a couple of anti scalp wheels to the back of the deck for flotation.

Power was adequate. Hydros were smooth or at least I thought so. Takes a bit of time to get used to using it on hills but will go anywhere a turf tracer with a sulky will go. Not too bad on wet turf either.

5. chariot

Posted via Mobile Device

6. chariot

Posted via Mobile Device

7. chariot

I just posted a reply but not sure where it went...anyway. I'm glad you mentioned the anti scalp wheels cause I meant to ask about that specifically, are there any that come standard on 60"?? Anyone want to mention prices that they've been quoted. I should have a price tomorrow, dealer is checking availability and trying to see what he can do on price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

There are anti scalp wheels on the front on both sides and the center. Not much negotiation of the price. $9499-500 rebate + tax.

9. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

The Scag V-Ride 60 is $7000. I like the Vantage but Exmark's pricing is crazy.

10. chariot

And here come the scag fans...it's more than the initial price. I've rode the scag too and it's not for me. I'm considering everything over the life of the mower and at the top aside from cut quality, price and dependability is dealer support. Also, parts availability, dealer hours and things of that sort. I've owned scag in the past and they're fine mowers but that's not what I'm spending MY money on!!
    Posted via Mobile Device