60" vs 52" Lazer pros and cons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Jul 13, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

With a potential move pending, I'm thinking about shuffling my mower lineup around to better handle a variety of lawn sizes w/o having to use the walk behinds in the future. I've been using a full size 52" lazer as a loaner and have come to appreciate its advantages in wide out open area mowing vs. my hp.

I would ideally like to find a used 44" HP model for gates and lawns, and set it up for mulching for use in and around tight areas, and get a full size lazer for wide open areas. The smaller unit would also serve as my backup for the larger mower.

I'd like to hear the pros and cons of the 52" and 60" decks on the lazers. With the smaller unit around gates and access wouldn't usually be an issue. But does the bigger 60" have any drawbacks I need to consider? I would of course prefer the greater producing machine.

I'd be mowing bluegrass at 3" to 4" on mostly flat land.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Could these properties support a 72"er?

If so, go with that!

Although the 60" is about the best size overall. Good cut, good trimmability, lots of engine choices, etc.

But if you have pretty large areas, the 72" can really knock out some acres!!!

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the info. 72" would probably be a little big for what I'd be using it on (1/2 acre to acre plus home lawns) and I want my mower to be as versatile as possible. But it's good to know the 60" cuts well.

With my problems this year with a mower in the shop long term I have decided I always want to have two riding mowers on hand, and a big/small approach seems the best way to get use out of both of them.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Here's a thought you may not have thunked. Possibly a 44" with a Flex Deck attached? That would give you a 62" cut when down and the same machine can get through gates and the FD can be quickly removed for small areas. Just a thought... would save alot of trailer space and alot of money and add versatility. When I had both mowers I felt the pinch of owning two big mowers instead of just one (financially that is). Twice the maintenance costs and time required.

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

NO no no. You only used each machine half as much, thus only had to maintain them each half as often. Mom doesnt know math does she. :rolleyes:

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I run a 52" hp and my brother runs a 60" lazer,
    my 52" hp is a little more maneuverable but his 60" lazer does handle a little smoother.My choice if you are not cutting lots bigger than an acre would be the 52" but if you are looking to do larger lots definitely the 60".Just my personal preference.

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot LawnSite Member

I mostly mow 1/2-1 acre lots with my 60'' Lazer & get along great with it. I did consider the 52'' HP, but I am glad I went with the 60'' for my use.

8. Seems to me, over the long run, your market will be determined by your equipment. I’ve had three 60” ZTRs out for demo in the last 2 weeks. The overall best of the three for me was the Ferris with the independent suspension, though I’d rig some kind of suspension seat on it, and not just the seat-upgrade.

The 60” cut width is nice, but it does significantly increase the follow-up trimming, as opposed to my 52” Stander. A lot of that is the difference in class as well size of the machine. In other words, it wasn’t just the width of the machine, having that engine and housing hanging off the back of the ZTR really cut down on where I could go.

I really hate sounding like a Wright Factory Rep, and I know this is getting a little off the subject, and probably hard to believe, but my 52” Stander was faster on some large properties than the 60” ZTRs. Only a few of my accounts are smooth and on level ground with large open areas. Not only is my 52” Stander MUCH quicker going around obstacles, but on bumpy ground it’s just plain faster to mow with.

From my point of view, the operator on a ZTR is a passive weight, even with a suspension seat. Most of the shock from the bumps went right to my spine. But on the Stander the operator can be an active shock-dampener. I’m on the balls of my feet, slightly bending at the knees, and able to transfer weight to the stationary handle bar. Although it requires physical effort, the result was much faster ground speed on bumpy turf with the Stander because it wasn’t nearly as punishing a ZTR. I don’t know how people can tolerate that abuse to their back on a ZTR (suspension or no) for 5-6 days a week throughout a season of mowing.

Still, if you have smooth wide-open accounts, there is NO WAY a Stander is going to compete. Had I started with a large ZTR, I’d have given up most of my existing accounts. As is the nature of things, in time we tend to bid on accounts where our equipment is in its element. Of course there are exceptions, but lets say you had a 96” ZTR; you’d probably figure out right away what lawns you’re loosing money on, because of the obstacles, turf, and not just their size. The same for a 60” vs. a 52” ZTR, the difference would be more subtle.

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

So true!

Unless you just go out and buy 1 of everything just in case! :D

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh come on now. In 3 weeks you felt the pinch of twice the maintenance cost and time. Must have been just a little pinch huh.

:rolleyes: