60" w/b vs. 60" ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevesmowing, Oct 4, 2005.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60" super z and a 48" w/b. It takes about 10 minutes on the ztr to mow my lawn and 13 on the belt drive w/b with a sulky. It seems like unless its a big open area a 60" hydro w/b could cut more grass faster. Can you turn like a ferris 61" hydro dual drive or hustler 54" w/b or 60" exmark turf tracer around on a dime like you can a belt drive w/b w/o tearing up the grass. With my 48" I can just slow way down/almost stop the inside wheel and keep the outside still going full speed. What do other people think? I might be looking at adding another w/b to the fleet next year.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, a w/b may be a decent idea but on larger props, you will get fatigued a little easier.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are definitely cases where a wb will cut faster than a Z. With a wb, you can glide around trees and objects in one fluid motion. You can do turn arounds at the ends of your rows (provided you have two borderlines) in one fluid motion, too. I would LOVE to have a 60" hydro wb to compliment my Z.

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both a 60" lc lazer z and a 60" turf tracer wb. The walk behind is incredible. Our turf tracer has the striping roller on it and the cut is outstanding. Operating this mower is very easy. It is actually smoother then our 48" scag hydro walkbehind. When comparing the 60" ztr and wb, the walk behind is much quicker and easier to manuever on the smaller sites, thus extremely productive. On the bigger sites even with the sulky attached the ztr still rules. Can't make up for all that speed. The greatest thing about having to 60" machines is two people can mow at the same time w/o messing up the stripes on the property. When the two machines are a wb and a ztr there isn't to many areas on a property you can't tackle.

5. TMlawncare

I have both a 60" lc lazer z and a 60" turf tracer wb. The walk behind is incredible. Our turf tracer has the striping roller on it and the cut is outstanding. Operating this mower is very easy. It is actually smoother then our 48" scag hydro walkbehind. When comparing the 60" ztr and wb, the walk behind is much quicker and easier to manuever on the smaller sites, thus extremely productive. On the bigger sites even with the sulky attached the ztr still rules. Can't make up for all that speed. The greatest thing about having to 60" machines is two people can mow at the same time w/o messing up the stripes on the property. When the two machines are a wb and a ztr there isn't to many areas on a property you can't tackle.

6. stevesmowing

Does the speed of the turf tracer seem slow? It seems like its comming in about 2mph under other hydros out there. How many hours are on yours and how is it holding up? What engine?

7. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Just get a stander. You can turn faster than other ZTR's, and you can go a heck of a lot faster than a walk behind. Hills aren't a problem once you learn to shift your weight.

-Mark Wood

8. TMlawncare

My 60" turf tracer was purchased new last spring. It now has around 430hrs on it. To date absolutely zero problems. Put gas in it, use it, no need to even worry about it thats how reliable this machine has been. It has a 23hp Kawasaki engine on it which has to be one of the quitest, smoothest, most fuel efficient engines ever made. Of all the machines I have owned, this is really one of my favorites.
    As far as speed goes, the book says it will go 6.5mph, on my sulkey that is just hauling. When walking behind it no one can walk 6.5mph. I'm kind of a speed freak but on this machine there really isn't a need for more speed. Even on the sulkies none of my employees or myself ever have craved for more speed.

9. stevesmowing

what did you pay for your truf tracer? Does it have pistol grip or ecs?

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Exmark needs to up the speed to 8.5MPH. they need to make the opc's more user friendly, Larger horse power and put the new titan deck on it.

I have had accounts where the TT was faster then a Lazer and walk(not at the same time). You have alot less trimming and big Steep hills are no problem. They cost less, weigh less and turn faster. they dont rut like riders and when you take a 750 Pound stander and stand on it, it can now weigh up-wards to 950 Pounds :cry: . So all and all, the walks are better for cutting then anything else so far.

John