1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

60" walk-behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ed Ryder, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody here have any experience loading a 60 inch walk-behind into their pick-up?

How difficult is it?

I hate pulling a trailer and I'm wondering if I should just get a 60" walk-behind. Any thoughts on this?
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Full-sized truck bed or short bed?

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

How will you get the deck past the wheel wells? If you do it I gota see a pic.
  4. Ed Ryder

It's a full-size Ford truck bed.
  5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I hate pulling a trailer and I'm wondering if I should just get a 60" walk-behind. Any thoughts on this?

You might look into a flat bed or a landscape body for the truck. The l/s body has a beaver tail and ramp and expanded metal sides. Basically, it's a trailer on the back of the truck.

Just curious. What's the big deal about towing a trailer? I do it so much, that a year ago I towed my dad's bass boat to KY Lake and back. He commented that I drove his truck with the boat the way most people drive a sedan. I'm very comfortable pulling a trailer.
  6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

if you were pulling a trailer, but are tired of it...and you are considering getting a 60" WB i assume you have a Z on a trailer right now?

or are torn between a Z or the 60"?

i would say you'll get more sick of walking and loading.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I did it a couple of times witha 52".
    that was a tight fit a 60 would be tihgter still. You will either have to back in or wheelie the deck over the fenders. Also be sure you have long strong ramps that won't slide away. I wouldn't recomend it on a regular basis. I only did it because I didn't want to tow my trailer 80 miles home empty. :blob3: :blob3: .

Instead of loading into the triuck, look into a small 6x8 or 6x10 trailer. I got a 5x8 for about $500 at Menards. Light to pull, not to hard to back, can still turn tight.

The only way you will get used to pulling a trailer is with practice.
    good luck
  8. Ed Ryder

I only have a basic, gear driven Lesco 48 walk-behind right now with a velke. I was in the business before and got out. Now I'm back in. I work by myself and I'm totally loaded up with customers. I need to get more efficient now. And I absolutely do not want to have any employees.

I really don't like pulling a trailer. It looks like I'll have to deal with it though.
  9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

just took my tape measure out to the truck.it's 50"between fenderwells of f350,if you backed it on truck it would fit with tailgate down.i guess you could build up a platform to the top of your fenderwells so you could shut tailgate,you could even have storage underneath.65"wide,less fenderwells.:blob3:
  10. Ed Ryder

Actually, I don't use the tailgate. It couldn't handle the weight of the 48 Lesco. The tailgate began to tear.

Thanks for all the advise gentlemen. I'm really curious if there is anyone who routinely loaded a 60 inch hydro walk-behind into the bed of a full-size pick-up and what they thought about it.

Of course I would use a heavy duty metal ramp, like those supplied by Redi-Ramp (www.metko.com/m100main.html)

I was quoted a price of... I think it was $650, plus $75 for shipping for that ramp. It's a big fold-down type of ramp.

I'll probably end up going with a rider and a trailer, but I'm curious about the big walk-behind option.