60 walkbehind w/sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, Jul 7, 2004.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone use the LARGE walks? I'm looking to up grade my fixed deck 52'' walks. Exmark- float , Ferris- float, Hustler(o please o please) Any others?
    I know john G hasn't been to happy with his exmark. Does anyone use the floating 61'' from ferris?(rodfather). I need a larger mower and a rider wont work. Either a w/b or stander of some sort with a floating deck.
    Thanks Joel

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60in scag fixed dually cut like a champ.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I use 61 inch fixed decks from Ferris (3 of them) with single wheel velkes...no problems at all.

4. jsaunders

rodfather- the problem I'm having with my dd52 is that I'm cutting and I only have 2 spacers above the blade and the cut + discharge isn't very good. The mowers leave alot of stringers, but the lawns are very bumpy. Have you tried the floating deck from ferris? The one thing that I saw right off is that while it is a floating deck the aren't any wheels on the deck to help it not dig into the ground. WHAT were they thinking when putting that machine together?
    Joel

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Joel you should have 5 spacers (1/4" each) for each blade under the deck to lower or raise the blades. On top on the front casters, you should have 3 1/2" spacers for each of the 2 caster wheels to further lower or raise the deck. That is how my Ferris 52DD's and 61 DD's are set up.

Hope that helps some...maybe you are missing some of these spacers??? BTW, stringers left behind from mowing are usually the result of using blades with rounded-off tip ends. If so, 86 the blades and invest in some new ones.

Lastly, check your deck pitch to be sure front is 1/8" or so lower than the rear.

6. jsaunders

Thanks rodfather- I do have all of the spacers, 2 above the blade and 3 ontop of the spindle. the problem is when I raise the cut hight the discharge isn't as good. I know that there isn't as much air flow with the blades raised but I'm only discharging the grass onto the last pass. Even running doubles on the discharge side the machines wont throw grass. I wish ferris was on this site and you could get awnsers from them.
    Have you tried/ looked at the floating deck dd? Thanks Joel