60" wb Turf article

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Just doing a small survey of sorts. What did you guys and gals think of the new Turf mag artle on the 60" exmark wb? Thoughts on other things you guys would like?

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Seemed fairly honest to me, particularly the fact that the deck is so massive that changing hieghts is a major challenge.
    Test anything you get your hands on!

3. I enjoyed the article. I read it once and then went back and reread some of the guys points about the mower. Was changing heights difficult because of the weight or the adjustment system?

4. Acute Cut

well, fyi: "the guy" was me. The deck was heavy and the pins are frustrating if they arent brand new. They tend to bend quickly. It was like trying to hold up a weight with one hand while trying to thread a large needle with the other. Or weight inone hand and write with the other. Somewhat difficult.

5. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah my 52inch deck on my exmark is kinda heavy, and can be a pain to change especialy on the side next to the muffler - gets hot fast, but its still a world away from having to get under the mower and remove the blade to adjust the height. How much weight difference is there between the 52 and 60inch. Is it alot?, where only talking 8inches. Hey Acute check your pm.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Nowdemo 54" hustler super walkbehind for comparison. That would be very interesting.

Good artical BTW. I like how you tell the bad with the good, and put it in real world terms.

7. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

hello acute
    got a few questions
    1-have you had any problems jumping curbs with the extra weight
    i sell exmarks and some of my customers have complained that
    the mower is just to heavy and the new ecs system is no good for lifting the deck up only on the 60" and 52" have i heard this
    i even went and got my hands on all the 20hp pistolgrip units i could get
    2-as for cuting in wet grass i have heard the tri vantage was better for it i hear this from all my customers that have both decks in there fleet.home owners dont say anything because they
    can wait till it drys up.
    3-i think you said you got the kai.engine why?

chuck masn equip. exmark
    dixie chopper
    hustler
    simplicity
    stihl
    manger john wilson

8. Acute Cut

Ya know, i was a about to launch into a bit of a rant here about the exact same things i had written about already here. Then i realized i had not even read the finished product in Turf yet. I picked it up yesterday from a friend as mine has not come in yet. Still............ Not come in yet..................... (You would think i would get mine before a curbing guy does hugh?)
    Anyways, rant was in full swing when i realized i hadnt read it yet so i stopped. I read. I drank coffee. I pushed my eyes back into my head. I ranted outloud. Drank coffee. Held down the delete button and started all over.

I apologize for the limited report you actually got there. Limited you say? YEAH! My original was i think 6 pages long........ What is this, 1.5 pages? I guess there are limitations on how much space turf has.

If anyone needs a fuller copy or a more detailed breakdown, let me know. If need by ill post it here in pieces for yall. Let me know guys.

Sawman65:
    Yes i had problems. Get some curbhoppers. Lifting that thing is useless. I loved the deck on the wb and how it performed. Strange though that i am demoing another machine with the same deck and am having opposite results. That wb though had an amazing cut. Really it was the best i had ever seen to date. Lastly sawman i used Kawi only because my dealer/mechanincs are kawi fans so i got the kawi so they could fix it faster if the case arose. I am mechanically deficient, so i stick to what my mech's like.:D
    Barringtonbrothers:
    Comparing lifting the 52 vs the 60 is comparing a honda prelude to an old stationwagon. Try lifting both and you will see what i mean. For reasons my own (dont ask) i have tried to lift both cars. I was able to move the honda. Pretty proud of myself for that one i had the same opportunity to do the same thing again but on a station wagon. WIth much grunting i was unable to even get the car rockin. Does that example make sense?
    I can wheelie my 52 all day long. I got a max of about 15 seconds out of the 60 and that was with MUCH trying.

Man......i am so tempted to post the WHOLE article. If yall liked it then you could pass it on that you want more article.............sigh. I am semi frustrated that i spent all that time giving so many examples in my article and that is not what yall got. I am off to reread my original to make sure i remember correctly. I would hate to start another bump style thread.:D

9. Acute Cut

Ok, i just reread my origninal. It was a little over 5 pages after i had shrunk it down from the original 8 i think. Still............ (im rather hoping some people here voice that they want the whole thing so i can give you the "Full Monty" so to speak.) Just in case anyone is not sure (bobbygedd) i was talking about the article. (jk man:D )

10. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i have never heard of curbhoppers steer me in the right direction