60 yards of compost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeshere89, Oct 15, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

man i have my work cutout for me this weekend and throu next week, along with leaf clean up and lawn cutting i have to top dress 22 of my accounts which is great at 60 bucks a yard but man what a mess, is anyone else doing this? its good money and works great for the lawn just curious cause no other lco does it around here and there are alot of them here to do it if they choose to, what ever i can do to make extra money i guess.
  2. what about a blower truck? any of those around?
  3. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of grass are you top dressing?

Just wondering.

Can you post any of the photos or before and after? Just wanted to see your results.
  4. I sure am! 42 yds so far this year. That was 20 tons, so you must be going to have 30 tons to move.
    How do you handle the compost? I use my trailer to go get it, scoop shovel it into the topdresser. I pull that with a mower to spread it an average of 1/10 inch deep. They say I can appply it to lawns up to 1/4 inch deep, but I don't have a rake or drag mat to get it off of the top of the grass yet. So I'm playing it safe.
    How are you doing it?

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I feel real sorry for you. $60 bucks a yard to topdress isn't enough for that kind of hard work. I know that sounds like great money right now, but...

I know a good bit about topdressing, email me if you want some info.
  6. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i use a earth and turf spreader and apply it at about anywhere from eighth of an inch to quarter inch and then i go back and lightly rake it in, i tell customers that now is a good time to overseed before i rake it in and then water for a couple of weeks, they are amazed at the results, the work to me isnt that bad anymore once i figured out how to do it fast, its dirty thou, i have been applying it on rye and alot of blue grass.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hoss, I PM'ed you several days ago asking about something. Was wondering if you saw it?

If you get a chance, maybe you could e-mail me. I have a couple questions for ya (including about the topdressing). Thanks.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

For some reason lawnsite doesn't tell me when I have a pm anymore. It shows a new message but never poped it up. I have checked and I have it toggled on my setup. Oh well...I will email you, I do have the message.
  9. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Email me and I can send you some pictures of what I have done with topdressing with my blower truck so far this year.
  10. Really? You can blow this stuff? I thought HicksGroundMgt was dreaming when he mentioned it. I would have thought for sure it would be too dusty to blow. I have something in my eye right now from shoveling. (I'm up to 25 tons to date.)
    I'd really like to know more about blowing compost. I've bookmarked your (future) website for future refrence.
    Thanks for posting.
    You could email me pics of your projects. I'd like to see them.