$600.00 mistake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C4chris70, Jul 17, 2003.

1. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Today I was running behind and didn't close my trailer while I was working and someone helped themselves to a three month old redmax stick edger and an echo trimmer. I don't know how they pulled it off, I was only 15 feet from my trailer trimming a hedge and I had a worker using my other string trimmer. Keep an eye on your tools!
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Never mind the eye, hey can be deceived and/or distracted, Use locks, or large not very friendly, extremely possessive dog.
  3. Thanks for the warning. Very little time saved by not locking up the equipment. Even though I know this, seems like once or twice a day, I’m trying to talk myself out of going through the bother of closing and locking my locker door.

By the way, have you considered this being an inside job? I mean you’re 15 feet away with a helper roaming around! Wouldn’t the thief have to wait right next to your stuff and then make his move as soon as you turn around? Whereas someone who belongs in the area could move the tools to a hiding place and come back later.
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is unbelievable that you were that close and they still got your equipment. Thanks for the warning and best of luck replacing the equipment. Make sure to always lock your equipment up.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I was thinking the same as Gravely man. Just when you think there is no possible way for someone to steal your stuff, cause you are standing next to the trailer.

WOW. People are brazin'.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

so far I have personally been very trust worthly of people, but lately after reading more and more of the posts where someones items have been stolen I keep on going further and further into security measures.
  7. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Was it an open or enclosed trailer?
  8. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yep Get your self a good gaurd dog my rotti comes to work with me every day and he is happy to chill on the back of my truck all day and if someone even looks like there going to entertain the idea of coming close to the truck he starts going off. And the beautiful part is every thing to do with the dog is a tax write off, food, vet etc .
  10. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

according to what he said it was open :D (just kidding)