600,000 sq. foot area to weedeat...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HEM, May 1, 2008.

1. HEM

HEM LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I have a 600,000 square foot job that has been dropped in my lap. The only problem is that it's on a river bank and you could use a mower on about 10% of it. The other 90% is strictly weedeating. It follows the river bank for one mile and is about 113' wide. I figured it would take 150 man hours but with a normal hourly rate of $60.00, is it reasonable to charge $9,000? It would take a couple of weeks with two to three guys working 8 hour days. How would you go about estimating this job? Thanks,

HEM

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally that would be a headache to me. How did the last guy do it? How are you figuring 150 hours of labor. Without seeing it, is tough to imagine but I would guess 4 to 5 men should be able to do it within a day depending on their skill level.

3. HEM

HEM LawnSite Member

There is no way 4 or 5 guys could do it in a day. It is a LOT of land and the terrain has boulders, trees, etc. that will slow you down. Here's how I figured it out: I pulled up a map of the property on Google Earth and used the measuring tool to figure out the square footage (600,000). I then weedeated a 1000 square foot section of my own yard which is flat and has no obstacles. I added time for the obstacles on the job site, the length of the grass (knee high) and the fact that it's a river bank and is on a pretty good slope. Anyways, I figured 150 man hours and I feel that that's pretty accurate. Thinking of a $6,000 bid.

4. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I trim around my pond total length of trim about 1/4 mile and 8 foot wide. It takes me3 hrs total with breaks. You should be able to do it with 3 guys 1 day easily. After the first time it will be easier.

5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

How often do they want it done? Maybe an extended reach flail mower on a boom would work, thats how I see them do water run off areas here.

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

14 acres to WW. Not sure what to say about that one. It depends on how long and thick the grass is. 1 guy can WW about an acre in 5-6 hours, but they wont be happy and it wont be like that all day. I would use 5 guys and buy extra WWs if needed. Could happen in 2 days, but youll want the rest of the week off.

7. HEM

HEM LawnSite Member

It's pretty thick grass. Knee high. So 14 acres....knee high grass on a slope. What to charge.....?

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

9. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

Yuck.... how bad do ya need the money?
    I'd sub that headache out to someone else.

10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Post some pics of the Bank.