600,000 sq. foot area to weedeat...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HEM, May 1, 2008.

  1. HEM

    HEM LawnSite Member
    Posts: 23

    Hey everyone, I have a 600,000 square foot job that has been dropped in my lap. The only problem is that it's on a river bank and you could use a mower on about 10% of it. The other 90% is strictly weedeating. It follows the river bank for one mile and is about 113' wide. I figured it would take 150 man hours but with a normal hourly rate of $60.00, is it reasonable to charge $9,000? It would take a couple of weeks with two to three guys working 8 hour days. How would you go about estimating this job? Thanks,

    HEM
     
  2. cpel2004

    cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,415

    Personally that would be a headache to me. How did the last guy do it? How are you figuring 150 hours of labor. Without seeing it, is tough to imagine but I would guess 4 to 5 men should be able to do it within a day depending on their skill level.
     
  3. HEM

    HEM LawnSite Member
    Posts: 23

    There is no way 4 or 5 guys could do it in a day. It is a LOT of land and the terrain has boulders, trees, etc. that will slow you down. Here's how I figured it out: I pulled up a map of the property on Google Earth and used the measuring tool to figure out the square footage (600,000). I then weedeated a 1000 square foot section of my own yard which is flat and has no obstacles. I added time for the obstacles on the job site, the length of the grass (knee high) and the fact that it's a river bank and is on a pretty good slope. Anyways, I figured 150 man hours and I feel that that's pretty accurate. Thinking of a $6,000 bid.
     
  4. ED'S LAWNCARE

    ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 361

    I trim around my pond total length of trim about 1/4 mile and 8 foot wide. It takes me3 hrs total with breaks. You should be able to do it with 3 guys 1 day easily. After the first time it will be easier.
     
  5. jaybird24

    jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest
    Posts: 623

    How often do they want it done? Maybe an extended reach flail mower on a boom would work, thats how I see them do water run off areas here.
     
  6. shovelracer

    shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,009

    14 acres to WW. Not sure what to say about that one. It depends on how long and thick the grass is. 1 guy can WW about an acre in 5-6 hours, but they wont be happy and it wont be like that all day. I would use 5 guys and buy extra WWs if needed. Could happen in 2 days, but youll want the rest of the week off.
     
  7. HEM

    HEM LawnSite Member
    Posts: 23

    It's pretty thick grass. Knee high. So 14 acres....knee high grass on a slope. What to charge.....?
     
  8. ProStreetCamaro

    ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,155

  9. Carolina Cuts

    Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,152

    Yuck.... how bad do ya need the money?
    I'd sub that headache out to someone else.
     
  10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

    TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,157

    Post some pics of the Bank.
     

Share This Page