$600 magna-matic 9000 vs $300 oregon 88-023?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gulfstreme, Jul 22, 2007.

1. gulfstreme

gulfstreme LawnSite Member

How does the Mag justify being 2x the price of the Oregon?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Better yet...my Oregon 88-021 which is a 12", 1.5 hp bench grinder is around the same price.

3. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't used one .couldn't say but if you get the oregon you will have to change the stone the one that comes on it burns blades quick. And I replaced the motor with a 3450 rpm this also gives a better result and the stones stay true. So I wish I had stepped up a little more.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

our 88-021 I seem to remember does 7000 rpm

5. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I'm just wondering, what makes either of these blade sharpeners any better then a 1/2 hp grinder from Sears with a 8" x 1" - 24 grit wheel ?

ericg likes this.
  6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search on the topic there's alot of information on the subject. I hope it helps.

7. gulfstreme

gulfstreme LawnSite Member

Been through the archives.. still wondering.. maybe somebody could post some pictures of their machines.. better yet a video of sharpening a blade.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I've got the 88-023(I think), it's the 1/2 HP one with the Ruby red stone. I wouldn't say it burns the blades... It does the job well, but it probably a little slower than the larger HP models. I just sharpen 4 or 5 sets of blades when I have some spare time on the weekends. All in all it's a good grinder I think but a larger HP one wouldn't hurt...