1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

6000 SqFt. How Much Would You Charge?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Benz2328, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Benz2328

Benz2328 LawnSite Member

How much would you charge to plant an area of 6000 sqft. This is going to take place in front of the house... there is some limestone that has to be removed (2-3 inches off the top) before laying fresh new topsoil. Im guessing 12 yards of topsoil will be enough. a yard of t.s runs about $27 per yard.... grass seed fertilizer, straw, gas, about $300.. im gonna need to rent a small skid steer that is going to run me about $300-$350....

What would you charge??
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

wow! from what i came up with. you would need 48 yards of topsoil to make a 2" layer. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
  3. Camden333

Camden333 LawnSite Member

Will they let you do time + material? I'd try that angle first before you start guessing how many hours it'll take you to amend the soil and seed.

Secondly, I might be in the minority on this but I do not spread straw over areas where I'm trying to establish nice turf. Too many weeds...
  4. Benz2328

Benz2328 LawnSite Member

your right about the 48 yard of topsoil but i only need 12 to make it match the level of the other existing grass....
  5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

figure your time! + materials, then figure what you want per hour of work. with a wheel barrel (assumed since your asking the question) = .5hr per cubic yard of soil to shovel and spread evenly each yard.. 2" by 864,000 square inches = 35 cubic yards.. 40 to be safe. .5*40=20 man/hours to lay out topsoil. + 1 hour laying seed/mulch= 21 hours labor
    $60 seed+ $100 seed mulch+$5 fert+ $per yard of soil*40+delivery=cost

so, your desired profit per hour * 21 + $165+topsoil cost =price. ...

modify as needed.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know this is off-topic but I don't use straw either.
    Matter of fact I HATE that crap!

I'm always the guy they come to with their yard still full up of that stuff...

I always ask them, why didn't your landscaper clean this up?
    Their answer: Uhm, he said it would decompose.
    Me: I'm sorry to hear that.

Ladies and gentlemen, if you play with the customer I'll take them after you're through...
    And they may not hire me, but they may also never hire any of us again.
    Sorry to be so rude, but I need the work :laugh:
  7. Benz2328

Benz2328 LawnSite Member

What would u use instead of straw?
  8. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Spread about a 1/4 inch of finished compost over the seed and before you do that spray some mycorizzae fungi on it. This will insure great germination.
    ICT Organics (ictorganics.com) a sponsor of this site has an instant compost tea with myco in it or you can get it raw from www.mycorrhizae.com.