600hrs and zero repairs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AB Lawn Care, Jul 11, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Today I reached 600hrs on my walker.It is only 1 1/2 years old now!And to top it all off I have had zero repairs to date other than one repair that was my fault:).This is an example of why you should buy commercial grade equipment,and not waste money on high end residential equipment.At this rate maby I will make 1000hrs with no repairs!Who knows????<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

2. SLC INC

SLC INC LawnSite Member

ON my walker we have 360 hrs. We have had to replace both hydros once. all of the belts and pulleys twice. Had to have the blade gear boxes redrilled to the deck. Replace two of the blade gear boxes.( 1 was bad and 1 due to us) To top it off, just today the arm-rests( I hope I spelled that right) fell off.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

600 hours is just breaking a commercial mower in. Just wait boys, Life in the shop starts at 3 times that amount lol. Well if you really are lucky and take very good care of it. Maybe not.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

AB Lawn Care: 2,925 hours on our old Dixie Chopper. Spent $40 for an intake manifold gasket replacement and $58 for 1 set of spindle bearings on 1 spindle. Not sure on the Dollars of belts, spark plugs and other normal things, but I feel this is not bad at all. The motor still seems like it has at least another 1000 hours or more left in it and the hydros seem like new yet. Yours is just barely broke in at this rate.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We're sitting at 570hrs on our 1999 Walker. warranty repairs to date, <br>-replaced one whining hydro, no problem just whines<br>- one beeper for the collector, my fault pressure washer was a little too close<br>stuff I have paid for,<br>- bolt for arm rest, don't use it for getting on and off.<br>- 2 shear pins on pto, be careful when lifting deck sometimes it will jamb<br>- one light bulb<br>And the usual wear parts, one belt, shear bolts on blades, blades, oil & filters, tire plugs from thorns, lots of grease.<br>Last year we only put 275 hrs on this machine, this year hrs will be way up due to rain and more business. <br>All the rest of you Walker guys have about the same stuff?<br>

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I am glad to find out that I was not the only one that had problems starting out with a Walker. I have a new dealer that is real great and also very honest with information. There are good units and very bad units just like any other brand.My dealer doesn't hide his work shop so every one gets to see what they are working on.I belive Walker is a high maintaince unit.Mowing conditions have a lot to do with it also.I just turned over 1300 hours(3y/o) and my first year the unit spent more time in for repairs than on my trailer.I just had to have new bearings put in the tail wheel last week.What ever you guys do ONLY pressure wash the under side of the deck.There are too many sealed bearings that go to hell very easy because of water.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I always use a pressure washer on mine but keep the tip back when doing sensitive areas and grease everything after washing it. I'm very happy with mine and would have to be VERY impressed with another brand before I would consider another brand of mower for the type of work that I do with mine.

8. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

I BOUGHT MINE USED W/ 3500 HRS EVERYTHING HAD ALREADY BEEN REPLACED OTHER THAN THE FILTERS AND BELTS ALL ,IS SUPER THESE EXPENSES MUST BE THE SAME WITH ANY MOWER VERY HAPPY W/ MY PERFORMANCE ,BUT I AM EYEING THAT EFI FOR NEXT YEAR

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My new Walker 26EFI is running great but I really can't help much with the post because there is only 55 TROUBLE FREE hours on it. :)<br>The gas consumption is lower than the 25 carb I can mow for better than 5 hours on a tank where the 25 was out in less than 4.<p>I forgot to add that my old 98 Walker with the 25hp Kohler had 4 major engine repairs and was SOLD to the highest bidder when it had 625 hours on it.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: MOW ED

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

MowEd: I can top that, I have 75 trouble free hours on my new one. :) My first tank I got .79 gallon an hour and the last time I checked I got .75 gallon an hour, so it's getting better. This is in tall, thick grass too, so it should get better when the grass slows down when it quits raining so much. I've got 9 gallon of diesel on board, so I could run 12 hours before running out. Anyway, I'm to old to put in 12 hour days, so I don't have to worry about running out. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>