61 bunton is backfiring

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BODIDDLY, Feb 11, 2004.

1. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

my 61 bunton rider backfires when i turn it off..only does it when its been running a while.anyone knows what could be causing this?:confused:

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Is it idling fast when you shut it down, put a tach on it to see what your idle speed is when hot. Are all your connections on the kill switch tight and making full contact.
    Since it is doing when it is hot I suspect it is more a RPM or fuel problem rather than a electrical. If it is "dieseling" combustion is continuing when the valve is open thus the backfire. It could be other things as well I'm sure. Is it backfireing through the carb or the muffler?

3. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Idle the mower down to it's lowest setting, let it idle this way for a minute or two and then shut it off. Mosy all mowers are this way due to the crazy emissions crap.
    Tim

4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Damn Bo, 1961- thats an old azz mower. Maybe you're misinterpreting a death cough for a backfire.

5. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

61 is not the year but the width of the mower..i slowed down the idle before i turned it off and that seems to work. the backfire comes through the muffler. thanks for the info

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I was kidding.:D