1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

61" Sabre Tooth Tiger 31hp Turbo Diesal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Landscaping, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Does anyone have expierance w/ this machine? B/C I was looking into a diesal truck and tought that this would be a complement for my residental yards. Thanks

2. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

I don't think you'll want to switch to a diesel mower just because you're getting a diesel truck or vice versa. Actually, these days, neither would be a bad idea but just don't run the same fuel in both. You can get "off road" fuel to run in the mower and it should be much cheaper. Believe me, I've got a GMC 2500HD with a Duramax and would love to burn the diesel we have for the farm equipment. There are some pretty hefty fines if you get caught running the off-road diesel on the highway(in a non farm-use vehicle)

It does look like quite a machine though.
  3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, but no one will check you for running off road in a pick up truck. Just make sure you don't go tough inspection with off road in your tank. I know a guy who owns a gas station and he runs in it his pick ups. They only bother checking dump trucks and tractor trailers for running off road diesel in them. but i do know the fines are pritty hight if you get cought.
  4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i plan on getting a exmark lazer z xp
    27hp diesel 60" cut: asap
  5. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

My friend had a F250 PowerStroke and was stopped twice in one day. I wouldn't take the chance. Specialy since the die hangs around for a long time.
  6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Many people are stopped on a regular basis to check for off road fuel in diesel trucks. Don't be fooled, it's an expensive gamble if caught.
  7. sgt_rjp

sgt_rjp LawnSite Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for running diesel in anything you can. Like I said, I'm running a GMC 2500HD Duramax and much of our equipment on the farm is diesel. I just will never fill my truck up from our bulk tank.
  8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

how about staying on topic?

the turbo diesel Sabre Tooth is the cream of the SCAG crop. its the king of the hill with 31hp and over 50ft lbs of torque.
    they are excellent machines and are basically identical to the Turf Tigers with the exception of the engine(s) and a few other parts. the only downside of the TD Sabre Tooth or the gas Sabre is the initial cost. around here they start at around 11k and have been up to 13k for the turbo.

great machines although probably overkill for anyone on residentials unless they are 10+ acre props all day everyday. the Turf Tiger with the 29hp fuel injected LC Kaw is perfect IMO.
  9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Do anyone know what the weight difference is between a diesel,
    and a water cooled gas engine the same size? At what point does all this extra power cause more rut problems???
  10. webdrifter

webdrifter LawnSite Member

From what I've read it looks like the diesel out weighs the gas engine by close to 500lbs. I looked at an exmark with a 27hp gas and a 27hp diesel. one was over 1100lbs and the other was over 1600lbs.