61" Scag walk behind, anyone own one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quail Creek LC, May 19, 2001.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I'm thinking of buying a new Scag 61 walkbehind with a 21 hp motor. Does onyone own one and what do you think of them. Do they have enough hp? Do they do a good job of cutting. I have a 48" scag walkbehind now and have been having alot of problems with stringers and dont want to spend a bunch on a new mower and have the same problem.
  2. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

I have a 61" ferris dual drive hydro walkbehind w/ the 23 kawi and its a great mach. more than enuff power.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

why do you want a 61 walk behind. Spend a few grand more and get a 61 ztr. the productivity will pay for the diffrence in price real fast. The only reason I can see for getting a 61 walkbehind is if you mow mostly hills and still want some productivity.
  4. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

I dont own a scag put a lco that cuts down the street has one and his are old and dont run well. He just bought a new 72" scag threewheel rider it dont stripe very well. I would go with the ferris dual hydro a very large lco only uses them they have about 6 and he told me they were great, they stripe good to but maybe u should spend more and get a ztr it might be better in the long run.
  5. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

The reason that I want to stick with a walkbehind is that I mow all residental lawns and I beleive that people will freak out if I put one of them on there lawn. If it wasn't for this reason I would have myself a Ztr.
  6. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

Thats how i am my costomers might not like it i had one who cant see very well anyway say my walkbehind wasnt cutting the grass and wanted me to use a pushmower. Well any way check this out http://www.convertiblemower.com/ one member on here has one its a good idea but ive never seen them around here
  7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a scag STHM 61 which is a 61 with an attached sulky.
    I modified the deck by adding a baffle from a HusQ 60 rider.
    also the turbo baffle. it has a 22 kohler plentyof power.
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I do in fact own one and had 1 problem and that wasn't with the scag itself. I had the motor go soon after I bought it. I never had a problem with the motor or the walk behind since. It is about 6-7 yrs old. It has a vanguard and is hydro. Get a sulky for it and you will not regret it.
  9. aklscape

aklscape LawnSite Member

The Scag WBs are rock solid reliable. Make sure to get their new Advantage deck and "stringers" will be a thing of the past.

PLenty of power....