61"turf tiger 25 hp kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by will@otherside, Apr 7, 2001.

1. will@otherside

will@otherside LawnSite Member

It is my understanding that when all scag turf tigers leave the factory the rpm setting is in the 3450 range.I have also been told that it should be increased to the 3600 range until the engine is broke in.At that time increase it even more .My questions start here,can anyone tell if any of this is true?And if so how do i go about increasing the rpm's? Any help is appreciated...signed Confused

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The Kohlers on the Dixie Choppers I ran at 3600 until they had 100 hours on them. I then turned them up to 3750. To do this, you have to adjust the stop if it's hitting it on the carb area. You may have to adjust the linkage too, by loosening the clamp on the cable and sliding it over to the stop with the throttle at full speed. You can do this part with the engine off. Start it up and then move the throttle up to the rpm's you want and then adjust the stop. I hope this helps.
    Eric

3. will@otherside

this is probably a stupid question but my scag does not have a tachometer on it so can I use a standard auto tach?
    Thanks for the info Eric

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

They make a tach just for 1 & 2 cyl called a tiny tach. it's in the landscapers supply cat, and j. thomas. Dave

5. Eric ELM

I would mount a tiny tach on your machine. It also keeps track of the hours and you can get one at a Chopper dealer if there is one around. They are standard equipment on a Chopper, but I'm not sure if other brands use them or not.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

If you already have a hour meter on your scag and are just looking for a hand held tachometer check jackssmallengine.com parts# 751180s ,wireless unit but seems to work well.. Its a bit pricy $69.95 . I couldn't find anyone who could answer the question on auto tachs.

7. Eric ELM

The Tiny Tach is around $40 and you can leave it wired up all the time so you know when your rpm's are dropping. Linkage can wear a bit here and a bit there and the next thing you know it's dropped a 100 to 200 rpm's.
    Hope this helps.
    Eric

8. will@otherside

Thanks to all who replied to my questions.I live just 15 miles from the dixie chopper plant so there are dealers on almost every corner here.I will be making a trip there on Monday. Thanks again this site is great.