1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

61'' Turf Tiger, a start-up mower?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by blackroses, Aug 5, 2011.

1. blackroses

blackroses LawnSite Member

1. would the new 61'' Turf Tiger be overkill for 1/4 acre to 1acre size yards,if not, what size and style mower would you use and why? if you like the 61", what mowers would you use to compliment it? I really like this mower.

2. What's the best size trailer to use,for 61" mowers?

3.whats the best way(taxes/legally and insured),inc. or llc for me to put my teenage son on payroll

4.What's your favorite Scag dealer in Ga and why?

5.whats the best backpack blower to purchase?
  2. blackroses

i was thinking this mower would be to heavy for small lawns , need some feedback?
  3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I have one and use it on everything. But I don't know your area so don't know if it would work because of that.

Do you already have the mower? I can think of many things I could by for a teenager then a mower that he may not make back the money on.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. blackroses

dont have the mower yet,but trying to deterime the correct fisrt mower to build my equipment around ,this mower will have me riding it 75% of the time but i have a 20year old 18,an 15 i want this lawn service to compliment my hvac business,also i have to make sure my ex-wife yard gets cut,,,, ,,,any opinions on my questions will be greatly appreciated
  5. prezek

prezek LawnSite Member

1. I bought a 61" Scag in my second year in business. I use it on any lawn I can without a gate. If I had it to do over again, I probably would buy the same, but a 54" may have been smarter. I compliment this with a 36" walk behind which fits almost every gate. Out of 140 lawns, I may get my 21" push mower off the trailer for 8 lawns, and 5 of them are townhouses.

2. I have a 14 ft enclosed which fits everything nicely. Not cramped. Again, if I did it again, I'd probably go with a 16 ft.

3. Ask an accountant for your particular situation. I am an LLC, and have 3 employees.

4. I can tell you about my dealer in Maryland if it helps...
  6. blackroses

@prezek ,Thank you sir,now that was very helpful,keep em coming
  7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

In N Ga a 48" is better because there are no flat yards. The bigger decks just don't do a good enough job I think. 44' to 48" is the best all around I think. I use a 36", 48" and a 52".
  8. blackroses

@jsslawncare,thanks this sounds like valuable advice,,,,im in ne ga.
  9. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Well a 61" could be a starter as long as your gentle with it on the small yards. We have a 52, and our 36 perfectly compliments it as it can get into back yards with gates.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Now why would you buy the very top of the line for a little bitty yard:confused: The Freedom would handle that just fine and save you $5 grand.