61" Wildcat or 61" Turf Tiger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DixieChopper88, Sep 2, 2007.

1. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

I'm very confused which is better, i've done searches can't find out what i'm looking for. I have a school system and am planning on doing more big commercial accounts. The mower i have right now is good, but the customer service isn't. So does a Wildcat have big enough hyrdo pumps to get it done and the ground speed compared to a Turf Tiger, because i don't want to spend the extra 1700 if i don't have to. I just want some opinions for people that have tried both. thank you

2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the Tiger if you are going to run a 61" deck. 16 cc pumps,shaft driven, double frame, more stable on hills, and depending on your size the tiger is a better ride also. I had a 52 Wildcat ( 10 cc pumps)and liked it alot but now that I have a Tiger I realize the differences. The Wildcat is great machine, I would own another one but if you are going with big properties Give the extra for the Tiger they are bulletproof.

3. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Both are good mowers the Tiger is built a bit heavier but the Wildcat is not skimpy by any means. The Tiger has bigger pumps and a shaft driven deck and also has some bigger engine options. Unless you are pulling some pretty big hills the bigger pumps won't be absolutely necescary. I don't know what kind of terrain you plan on cutting but the Wildcat is enough mower for most work. The Tiger is also a little more stable cutting across a incline. The Tiger is a tank but you might not need a tank, just depends on your needs. If you don't mind spending the extra cash the Tiger is the best of the best and it's really in a class of it's own. It's kinda hard to compare the two but IMHO I don't think you will be disappointed with either mower.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, to me $1,700 IS quite a premium for a mower with the same cutter deck that can be ran basically the same speed (10 v/s 10.5)

I want to think... and hope that there is quite a difference in what is in the engine compartment of the two mowers you recieved price quotes on.

If both of them have the same 27hp Kolher or something, then yes... that sort of a hard sell to me.

But, if the tiger has one of the premium engines, I can totally see it, and if the engine is 29hp or greater you get a 12 mph max speed to boot. That makes it totally worth it in my opinion.

5. Four Alarm Lawns

Four Alarm Lawns LawnSite Member

I was in your shoes last year. I went with the Wildcat due to the smaller price tag and an overzealous dealer who convinced me that the Wildcat was the same as the Turf Tiger. The Wildcat is a good mower but does not handle well on hills or rough terrain. This year I traded the Wildcat in for a Turf Tiger (with a different and much more knowledgeable dealer). The Turf Tiger is hands down a better machine! In the same situations where the Wildcat would bog down or have trouble, the Turf Tiger doesn't skip a beat. The larger hydros make a huge difference. Also the shaft driven blades compared to belt driven blades seem to make a much better cut. Places where I would have to double cut last year I am only making one pass this year. I think if you are in the buisness for the long haul I would spend the extra money now and buy the better machine.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

The million dollar question, if money is not a biggie get the tiger itz worth $1700 more,the wildcats are top but they are not turf tigers.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I gotta say... what a great first post... great EXPERIENCED info there.
    (Scag does not exist here, so I have to speculate)

Welcome to lawnsite!

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This man has answered your question, "when in doubt always go stout".

9. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you figure? Both mowers have the same deck.... why would having a driveshaft instead of a belt result in a better cut?

I have never owned a Turf Tiger, but did get to use one for about a week. I have also owned two Wildcats. You couldn't get me to pay a penny more for a TT over a wildcat for many reasons

1. Shaft drive means you have U joints to look after and service and to possibly fail

2. Shaft drive means you also have a gearbox the the front of that shaft that routes the power from the shaft to the decks belts. Again, something else to service and possibly fail

3. Turf Tiger only has one fuel tank, when you run out of gas... your out of gas! Wildcat has two tanks and you can run out of gas and switch to the other tank to finish the job without having to walk back to the truck in the middle of a job.

4. Turf Tiger has a higher seat. Might not seem like a big deal, but I like to sit lower to the ground.... makes me feel safer going up and down hills and I can go under lower tree limbs without getting smacked in the face.

5. Turf Tiger weights more. Face it, all these ZTR's are way too heavy as it is.... This weight hurts the lawn, and causes ruts in the lawns. I wish these mowers were half as heavy as they are now, made out of aluminum or something... some of these mowers weight almost as much as a small compact car!

I don't see any advantage to the Turf Tiger over a Wildcat. the Wildcat has large enough pumps and the frame is more than strong enough. Save some money and get a lighter and more compact mower. It will be easier to use and cheaper in the long run.... and the cut should be the same as both mowers use the same exact cutting deck

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

True we are running 2 wildcats they are perfect no down time handle good and as fast as you can push em they cut 10 inch high grass.