61" wright standers 18hpbriggs & 17kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Mar 16, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

My dealer has a couple of 61" wright standers new 0 hrs on them but theyre about 4yrs old... just never made it out of the distributors warehouse till now.. anyhow, would you stay away from these???? did the standers have alot of kinks in them a few yrs ago or just not enough power on these for 61" mowers??? 18briggs & 17kaw...

if i could get them for a good price, what do you think??

2. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

btw... wright 61" standers now come standard with 23 and 25kaw's.

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like an extremely weak engine for a 61" deck machine. I have 25hp on JD 757 and it is a little weak in tall, wet, sappy spring grass. I personally would stay away from them. If they were a 48" deck maybe.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

18 hp is barely enough for a 48" IMO.. And as was said, even 25 is kinda weak on a 60"... Unless the machines are so cheap that you could buy them, swap on say a 27 Kohler or something along those lines ( the Kohler would be an awesome swap if you ask me :) ) and still be ahead over what a brand new one would cost, I'd stay away too. ( That's probly why nobody else wanted them too...)

5. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

are you talking about Wagoners? good people there. i second the engine swap idea. if you can save enough on the unit to be ahead after putting on a larger engine (~1500) then it may be worthwhile. The 18 briggs is a strong engine but i dont know if it is that strong. see if you can demo it this spring.

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, 17 or 18 HP isn't close to enough for a 61". I have spent several hours on a 61" Stander with a 20 HP Briggs and it is way under powered. I have a 260Z with a 25HP Kaw. and I sometimes wish I had a few more HP. I also like the idea of an engine swap. Get a 25 or 27 HP and put it on there. You'll have a good machine then.